Identifying needs.

TedW

Feb 2, 2014
Corfu, Greece.
My wife has frontal lobe atrophy and is at the stage where she can not communicate verbally as to her requirements. She understands little of what I say to her so it is very difficult to identify what her needs are. I think a set of picture cards showing everyday items, toilet, drink, food etc may be helpful for to communicate her requirements. Often her actions indicate one thing, IE wanting to have a drink but she or I mostly get it wrong causing her unnecessary frustration/anger. I have made an internet search for the answer without success. Has anybody out there dealt with the problem and able to offer any advice?

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Can you google image everything you need and print it onto separate cards, or paper covered with clear sticky plastic,

Jeany x

These are free printable downloads of flash cards you might find something here,
http://autismbuddy.com/

Last edited:

Feline

Oct 25, 2012
East Devon
My wife has frontal lobe atrophy and is at the stage where she can not communicate verbally as to her requirements. She understands little of what I say to her so it is very difficult to identify what her needs are. I think a set of picture cards showing everyday items, toilet, drink, food etc may be helpful for to communicate her requirements. Often her actions indicate one thing, IE wanting to have a drink but she or I mostly get it wrong causing her unnecessary frustration/anger. I have made an internet search for the answer without success. Has anybody out there dealt with the problem and able to offer any advice?
Hi Ted,
Do try everyone's suggestions. My husband is unable to communicate and doesn't understand very much of what I say, but I always explain in the hope that something may get through and I demonstrate as much as I can, however he he doesn't often get frustrated and usually will let me lead him , say to the toilet for instance.
Now thinking about it he never asks for anything I just sort out all his needs, I keep drinks near him and prompt him to drink by putting the glass in his hand, or to his mouth if necessary, I give him his snacks and food and attend to all his washing and dressing. This may not be what you want as your wife sounds as if she knows what she wants but can't express it, so, sorry if I'm barking up the wrong tree.
Best wishes