Identifying moderators

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Would it be possible to have some way of identifying what moderators are online please?

I reported two spam threads and then wanted to see what moderator was online as one of the spammers was creating a poll thread.

I searched through and remembered two but then they both went offline!

I do appreciate its voluntary (and much appreciated) but it would be very useful to have them showing differently or under a different heading in some way. Particularly now we also have volunteer hosts as its easy to forget who is what.

Many thanks

Celia

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
If you click quick links at the top it says Forum leaders if you click on that it shows you moderators and which are online

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Answering myself a little - saw Jeanny looking at Forum Leaders but I wouldn't have necessarily looked there for a list of moderators or seen them as being the same people. plus its not really that obvious if people haven't explored much.

Ta

Celia

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Snap Jeanny -we were posting at the same time! Its obvious when you know its there but not everyone would think to look under that heading...

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Celia

If you go to the main support Forum, the bottom of the Front Page will tell you who is on line. You will also see a list of Moderators, so you will be able to see who is available.

I`m sorry TP was unattended by Moderators when you reported the posts. This is unusual I hope you will agree.

Thank you for reporting the Post.

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Grannie G - I am most certainly not complaining as I think the moderators do a great job with this Forum.

I did look at the front page and again, didn't think that Forum Leaders (which is what I presume you mean) would include moderators/ is the same thing. I do now but I wonder how many others would know?

As said, certainly not a criticism but just a query re how clear it is.

Thanks

Celia

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I thought I would mentionit as, going by some previous posts about tests being carried out I assumed there were changes planned and thought this could be useful input.

Thanks

Celia

It`s on record now Celia so I`m sure something will be done if it can. :)

This is the first time this sort of problem has come up in my experience of 6 years on the Forum. It isn`t easy to predict all weaknesses, we can only address them when they arise, if we can.

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Celia, another option for you ....

When on the main forum and that you can find by clicking on "Forum Home" at the top, scroll down to the bottom (if you will pardon my expression) and you will find, as you already have found, "View Forum Leaders".

Click there, and if there is a little green button to the right of the name of any Forum Leader - that means that said-Moderator aka Forum Leader is online and therefore available.

If no little green button = that Mod is not online.

I think - but I may be wrong there.:D

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Thanks JPG - I guess the main issue boils down to not realising / being obvious that Forum Leader and Moderator is one and the same thing.

I belong to several other forums where moderators links appear either in a separate list at bottom of page or in a different link colour.

However, think we have exhausted this topic now!

Thanks all

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Thanks JPG - I guess the main issue boils down to not realising / being obvious that Forum Leader and Moderator is one and the same thing.

I belong to several other forums where moderators links appear either in a separate list at bottom of page or in a different link colour.

However, think we have exhausted this topic now!

Thanks all

Yes, agreed. It's all down to teminology. As Maureen Lipman said. :cool:

Other forums that I belong to identify moderators by colour-coding. That colour-coding appears against each and every one of the posts by the mods, in some cases, and in other cases it appears only in another part of the forum, if you search to find out who is what.

Horses for courses really.

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Celia,

If you see a post which you think is inappropriate for whatever reason, at the bottom right of that post is a "report post" button. If you hit that then your report as far as I'm aware goes to all moderators. So, whoever is online or who comes on line will immediately pick up the report. You will know that your report is being handled as they normally send you a private message (PM) acknowledging it and thanking you for bringing it to their attention.

Any time I have reported a post I have had a response from moderators within a few minutes.

So, if you use the report post function then you don't need to go traipsing all over the site trying to find a moderator. I now have this vision of them all jumping offline because they know someone is looking for them, like virtual hide and seek ! hahaha

Hope this helps,

Fiona

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Just to reiterate what Fiona has said, clicking on the Report Post icon is the best way to bring a dodgy post to the attention of all the moderators. :)

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Hiya - I did do the report post for both of them but then I looked at the who's online and saw one of them was trying to create a poll so I was trying to prevent that being loaded...

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
You did right Celia. I zapped them before they managed that, thanks to you (and others) who reported the post.

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Talking of colour coding, why do some people have a green spot, and others a white spot next to their name?

Just curious.
Jan

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Talking of colour coding, why do some people have a green spot, and others a white spot next to their name?

Just curious.
Jan

The spot appears green when the person is online, Jan. When anyone goes offline, the spot changes back to white.