I want to scream

BeeBeeDee

Apr 19, 2023
Every evening is spent with him asking what is on TV tonight, is Corrie on (he is obsessed with it), why are we watching this, when is Corrie on, shall I close the curtains, are you warm enough, do you want a cup of tea (if I say yes I end up having to go through and make it) what are you doing on your typing thing, are you cold, do you want a drink, shall I let the dog out, shall I close the door, did I close the car - on and on and on, the same questions over and over.
If I am lucky he will fall asleep and I get some peace and quiet.
I know many of you are much much worse off than I am but I want to scream, and when I do eventually snap at him I then get told off for shouting as he never shouts at me and he was only asking ........

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
@BeeBeeDee the repetitive questions or remarks can be so wearing, so no wonder you are ready for screaming. Many of our members will understand exactly what you are going through.
I don’t have any answers but just wanted you to know that you are not alone.

Jan48

Apr 25, 2022
Every evening is spent with him asking what is on TV tonight, is Corrie on (he is obsessed with it), why are we watching this, when is Corrie on, shall I close the curtains, are you warm enough, do you want a cup of tea (if I say yes I end up having to go through and make it) what are you doing on your typing thing, are you cold, do you want a drink, shall I let the dog out, shall I close the door, did I close the car - on and on and on, the same questions over and over.
I know many of you are much much worse off than I am but I want to scream, and when I do eventually snap at him I then get told off for shouting as he never shouts at me and he was only asking ........
I know the feeling, the repetition drives me crazy. It’s difficult to out compassionate communication in practice. I do snap and scream, it does not help as he gets angry and verbally aggressive.Told him not to speak to me, am going to wear ear plugs.

Alisongs

May 17, 2024
East of England
Do your screaming. I go in the potting shed and scream and hammer on the table. Or hide in a locked loo with a good book or magazine.
It doesn't hurt to point out at the third repetition that he's said it three times already. Hell be hurt, but he'll probably forget. Who knows? With consistency and repetition he may eventually form a new habit.
OR (thinking on the fly) Make up a large print To Do list of his repeated daily concerns for him to cross out. Eg Let dog out at 7pm, close the curtains when it gets dark etc. Make a cup of tea for my wife at 8pm. Leave spaces for new concerns and print a week's worth of copies. By doing, and crossing off, he should form a new habit and have his own evidence of things done. My husband gets a timetable if I have to go out and leave him alone

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
The trouble is that every time he says something, he thinks its the very first time that he has, so you wont be able to stop him (sigh)

There is a member on here who has a parrot that only she can hear and see. It sits on her shoulder and says all the things that she would like to say, but wont.
Ive borrowed the parrot several times and found it very therapeutic ;)