I want mum to remain in care home but can not afford Top up

Strawbury

Nov 1, 2018
Our mum has dementia and was being cared for at home. However dad's emphysema prevented him from looking after her well enough. She fell and broke her leg and from there entered a good care home at the end of road for £800 per week.

....to be honest the first few months were awful. Despite the good care and hospitality of the home mum cried and screamed for weeks. However she is now settled and surrounded by familiar faces.

It transpires the home is not on the councils preferred list and this is something we knew nothing about. It is a good home.

Now her money has run out the council refuse to pay the fee in full. The care home compromised down to £650 and the council come in at £563. We can not afford the top up.

We want mum to stay there and press the council to pay the top up.

So I am putting together an appeal and wondered if any of you know of legal precedent where someone has successfully appealed in this situation or if any of you have personally been through this situation and appealed successfully . If so please advise as I really don't want mum to move .

Thank you for any help

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hi and welcome to Talking Point.

Can I ask - how long has your mother been living there? Because the longer she has been there, the better the case you have that this is her home and to force her to move would be detrimental to her health and emotional well-being. Also, you mention that the home is "at the end of road". If this means that your father can visit frequently (and does) that would be helpful.

You might want to contact the Helpline as well.

National Dementia Helpline
0300 222 11 22

Our helpline advisers are here for you.
Helpline opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm

Strawbury

Nov 1, 2018
Hi and welcome to Talking Point.

Can I ask - how long has your mother been living there? Because the longer she has been there, the better the case you have that this is her home and to force her to move would be detrimental to her health and emotional well-being. Also, you mention that the home is "at the end of road". If this means that your father can visit frequently (and does) that would be helpful.

You might want to contact the Helpline as well.

National Dementia Helpline
0300 222 11 22

Our helpline advisers are here for you.
Helpline opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm
Hello. Thank you for the reply. Mum has been there for 18mths . I am not sure of the criteria for it qualifying as her home but that is precisely what it has become.
The proximity of the home does also mean that Dad can visit with ease.
I wonder if there are any case law studies I could quote that may have set a precedent.to help our case? I have tried looking but found none so far