I think I'm finally here

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
6 weeks ago, she was reasonably mobile, quiet but able to respond to a question but then came the dreaded hospital admission. They put her to bed and didn't try her mobility for several weeks so Mum, who walked into that hospital, can no longer stand.
Fast forward 4 weeks and Mum stopped eating but would drink her supplements. A week ago, I suggested that Mum would soon start to refuse drinks and then today it came. All attempt at getting her to drink were met with clamped lips.

She's making it perfectly obvious that she's had enough and I don't blame her one bit.

I have told Mum that I understand and support her decision and made my feelings perfectly clear to the hospital. So now the long wait begins; perhaps tomorrow she'll drink but I'm certain that she's eaten her last supper. Meanwhile, I remain surprisingly calm and I think I'm ready to let her go.

MrWobbles

May 19, 2023
Totally concur with canary. Bless you! Tap into those you trust and love. I hope I can be as strong as you clearly are! xxxxxx

Saralara

Mar 10, 2024
6 weeks ago, she was reasonably mobile, quiet but able to respond to a question but then came the dreaded hospital admission. They put her to bed and didn't try her mobility for several weeks so Mum, who walked into that hospital, can no longer stand.
Fast forward 4 weeks and Mum stopped eating but would drink her supplements. A week ago, I suggested that Mum would soon start to refuse drinks and then today it came. All attempt at getting her to drink were met with clamped lips.

She's making it perfectly obvious that she's had enough and I don't blame her one bit.

I have told Mum that I understand and support her decision and made my feelings perfectly clear to the hospital. So now the long wait begins; perhaps tomorrow she'll drink but I'm certain that she's eaten her last supper. Meanwhile, I remain surprisingly calm and I think I'm ready to let her go.
My heart goes out to you @My Mum's Daughter It's such a hard and difficult journey for you. So many of us on this site can both identify and empathise with your situation. I wish you continued calmness and strength of mind. x

Sterlingtimes

Aug 5, 2022
I feel for you finding my mother in a very similar situation. It is difficult to gauge what is going on.

After a succession of falls and hospitalisations, my mother last struggled to walk seven weeks ago, and she has been bedbound ever since. The hospitalisations resulted in a steep mental decline. My mother eats tiny amounts and refuses most foods. She eats Fortisip, yoghurt, and ice cream, and she drinks water. She sleeps most of the time and is exceptionally confused.

MowgliGirl02

Feb 20, 2022
@My Mum's Daughter Oh how your words remind me of my mother.
The Second my beautiful, kind, caring, wonderful mother shook her head when I offered her a drink I knew she was ready to go. As soon as she pulled out her feeding tube, and her fluid drip in hospital she made them fully aware she wanted to die. She’d been living with dementia for well over ten years, she was bed bound, and hadn’t eaten for a couple of months, (Well, except scraps etc)
I wish you courage, strength, love and support for whats to come. Try to care for yourself at this time, try to eat, drink and sleep. You need your strength as it’s a horrible process.
At the end I was ready to let her go, I didn’t want her to suffer anymore.
But my word it broke my heart when the time came.
Always remember, you are never alone. ❤️

MeganCat

Jan 29, 2013
South Wales
My dad had Lewy body dementia- so less memory issues - he always recognised me and even at the very end could follow conversations (but couldn’t join in) - but I truly believe when he eventually needed a care home that not eating was his taking control of the situation. Sending a virtual hug