I think I my dad has dementia

mags2020

Dec 24, 2019
Hi

Im new, I joined yesterday. My name is Mags, i am 43 and I am pretty sure my 73 yr old dad has dementia. He lives in South Wales and I live in Devon with my fiance. He lives alone and I'm really worried about how caring for him is going to go if he does have this disease. He's basically changed as a person quite dramatically these last 5 years. I've watched him deteriorate and thought he was just depressed and anxious about his urinary frequency which has been a problem for him for a number of years. But a few days ago i came back to south wales to see my family at Xmas and was shocked (again) to find even more changes in my dad. My aunty and uncle can see it now too, which is some relief. He's started talking and focussing on the past more and his short term memory is getting worse. He spends a lot of his days walking about town and sat in cafes and I worry so much about this as it's so sad and he seems so lonely. He seems to have lost all insight into the fact that he's really unwell & needs help and gets very defensive & angry if I suggest seeing his gp about what seem to be visual perception problems or his mood, memory and confusion. He's now incapable of buying Xmas presents for anyone, can't do shops very well, gets depressed and angry a lot and voices this quite loudly, much to people's confusion and disgust. We tried to go Xmas shopping these last 2 days and at one point he got confused and panicked about what to buy my mum, but they've been divorced for 26 years. He can't remember if he's been to the shops in the morning to get enough food for dinner, finds shop opening and closing times hard to deal with and kind of re-remembers stuff throughout the day over and over, " have I got anything for dinner?" kind of thing, but repeatedly throughout the day with a lot of confusion. I'm at the point where I've rung his gp for the second time in 6 months to tell them there's something wrong (I'll write them a letter in the next few days) but he won't comply with any treatment or engage properly with the GP. He gets very angry and it's so horrible and upsetting. I'm writing to you guys on here because no-one else I know has to deal with this. Plus I'm just really worried about getting a diagnosis for him, whether I'll get the same thing too ( I get depression and think I'm mildly cognitively impaired because of that atm, but am worried it'll turn into something more) and how to deal with his care because he lives alone so far away from me. This is honestly so awful and it's hitting me like a brick atm. The person that was my dad has gone and this depressed, confused, aggressive and unpleasant person is left behind. I'm appalled because I don't want to change mine & my partners life to look after him, but then feel so bad for him and sad and guilty and really frightened about the future.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Welcome to DTP @MagsStark
Personally I would write to your Dad's GP & local social services detailing exactly what is happening. Tell them that your Dad is very vulnerable & needs help urgently.
Please keep posting as you’ll get lots of support here.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @MagsStark. Welcome to DTP. I hope you will be helped by discussing your worries with others.

Long distance caring is the most difficult.

Do you think your dad is at risk? If this is the case you can present him as a vulnerable adult to his GP and adult social services.

How much contact do your aunty and uncle have with your dad? If they see him fairly regularly do you think they can put in writing a small diary of their concerns. They could send this to dad`s GP as concerned relatives without breaching confidentiality.

You are not legally bound to take responsibility for your dad`s care. What you can do is try your best to make help available to him and let the system be aware there are concerns for his health.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to the forum, Mags.
Sorry I have no practical advice when your dad refuses any medical help, but writing to his GP and informing his local authority Social Services will certainly allow those who can help him to know what to do. If you tell his local Social services that his confusion over food shopping leaves him vulnerable to self neglect you have a better chance of help. Your own depression is hard to deal with, I have had struggles with that and know some of the cognitive problems as well as how tiring it can be.
Sorry this is a bit of a ramble. You will find support and advice on here and I hope your dad's GP can offer something.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @MagsStark

Like the others I don't know what to suggest if your dad refuses to see his GP. Is there anyway the GP would consider doing a home visit as there are some easily treatable conditions which mimic dementia, including some vitamin deficiencies.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome from me too @MagsStark. I’m so glad you have found the forum and I’m sure you’ll get lot of help and support here.

I was also wondering if the GP would do a home visit and your dad could be told it’s a routine ‘well man’ visit - or something like that.

Maisie1

Dec 24, 2019
Welcome to the forum, Mags.
Sorry I have no practical advice when your dad refuses any medical help, but writing to his GP and informing his local authority Social Services will certainly allow those who can help him to know what to do. If you tell his local Social services that his confusion over food shopping leaves him vulnerable to self neglect you have a better chance of help. Your own depression is hard to deal with, I have had struggles with that and know some of the cognitive problems as well as how tiring it can be.
Sorry this is a bit of a ramble. You will find support and advice on here and I hope your dad's GP can offer something.

Maisie1

Dec 24, 2019
Hi, I’m new to this site too. My mum has not seen a gp for 30 years and refused to do so. Yesterday she became quite ill, I called my doc who is aware that mum is living with me, but refuses to see doctor and get diagnosis of dementia,. I called 999 (advice from my doc after they refused to come out) mum accepted them being here, despite my anxiety. I have learnt that I can register her at docs. I understand I must do what she needs. Please read other advice on my link I feel guilty. Her being ill has exasperated dementia. She did not know me today or where she was and kept asking for dad, who passed away over 4 years ago. I have never sobbed so much. I am considering care home as I am burnt out .

mags2020

Dec 24, 2019
Thank you so much for your replies. It really helps, knowing that people can understand, empathise and also provide practical advice. I will write to my dad's GP and possibly they'll speak to social services. I'll highlight the fact he's vulnerable - good point! It's so hard to navigate this when you're in shock & a great deal of tears that the parent you're closest to is very unwell, bordering on not being able to care for themselves properly and is potentially facing the devastating disease that dementia is. I love him so much but this is so hard as he's so miserable, aggressive, angry and almost manipulative these days......yet has no insight into how he's acting. Thank you again for your comments xxxxx

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch