I pick myself up emotionally only to be knocked right back down again.

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Chuggalug how long did this go on and at what stage was your husband. I am at my wits end and none of my friends want to associate with me in case he accuses me of sleeping with there husbands. ( not that there are any left that I havnt slept with). In Spain this winter he barricaded the door with the dining room table so I either I couldn't get out or my lover couldn't get in. We flew home early as I couldn't take any more. But now I'm trapped and am seriously considering leaving as I have no life left and no idea how long this will go on, but then I suppose it will to be replaced with another unknown mountain to climb.

Angie, I never had things as bad as you're describing, just off the cuff remarks, but I was shocked to say the least. Probably around three to four months at the beginning. Your situation is horrendous and I can understand your hurt to a point as I know how I felt. I thank God this wasn't long-lasting. The stealing thing is what's worse as, five years down the line, he's still doing that. It's never gone away :(

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
:eek::eek::eek: I have a pair of pink winter bed socks! I'd better not hang my feet out of the window, else I might get unwelcome visitors. ;) Though, thinking about it, why would I want to hang my feet out of the window when it's cold enough to wear bed socks? Or hang them out any other time of the year, bed socks or bare feet! :eek:

And, I dare say, if any neighbour saw my feet hanging out of the window, they'd dial 999 immediately. :D

No they wouldn't Scarlett - they would just think you had got dementia!

angiebails

Oct 8, 2009
crewe
The one thing is that he told the consultant if I just admitted what I had done with the man in Spain he would let it go. But the problem with that is he would then invent another man. Now if he accuses me of stealing it would hurt but I could say yes I stole it but you can now have it back but I can't agree to sleeping with all and sundry.
As to your thread regarding deafness, my husband is deaf and wears two hearing aids which now play a great part in our everyday lives. If someone asks him a question he will give a completely wrong answer and when I correct it his answer later is I couldn't hear them. He uses his deafness to cover up his inability to understand.
Now yesterday he stopped talking to me because apparently I had been saying bad things about his son during the evening whilst the television is on but we don't even speak because he says he can't hear me. But he hears this and the men that creap around on the landing at night.
His has a streamer for his hearing aid that streams either the television or telephone straight into his ears which is a great tool for him watching the television and using the telephone if his family occasionally ring, problem with that is they ring him so rarely that he forgets how to use it.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

angiebails

Oct 8, 2009
crewe
Prehaps if I started wearing bright pink socks a green skirt and an orange jumper someone might notice me.
But my OH would say I was trying to attract men. And my children would definitely say I had finally lost it.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
So, at least the consultant is aware that there is a problem - but you need to make him aware of how far this problem is going and how it is affecting you! In my experience of trotting in and out to various doctors and consultants with my husband over the years, they are so intent of him and how his illness is affecting him, that they tend to forget that dementia is an illness that, while one person has it, there are at least two people suffering from it!

Imclineal

Nov 27, 2014
my husband, who has just turned 64, was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in January. As you can imagine, it rocked our world, and the retirement we had planned for ourselves in Spain cannot materialise like we thought it would. We both love Spain but I find that I am not getting a lot of information re illness and how best to cope. I aM goin back to the Alzheimer's society tomorrow. They have asked to see me on my own - I don't know why. My husband is very argumentative - if I say black, he has to say white. I get the blame for everything that goes wrong. He has been on Aricept since January but it doesn't seem that it is slowing he process down. Any insight would be invaluable to me. I have very little knowledge of the stages of the disease and annot see how my husband is only at stage 1.
You should Google LMTX TauRx. They are doing a clinical study of LMTM. Your spouse likely has Fromtal lobe dementia from what you describe.
My spouse has just completed an 18 month trial of LMTM and appears to be clinically stable. I have done a lot of research on what currently is available for the Rx of AD and LMTM appears to hold a lot of promise. The open label extension has been approved which suggests that there is at least some evidence of efficacy - otherwise th company would not waste their money. there is a clinical study now8! Progress in Frontal lobe dementia as well.IMO this is the most promising agent that is being evaluated.

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
The one thing is that he told the consultant if I just admitted what I had done with the man in Spain he would let it go. But the problem with that is he would then invent another man.

Yes, he probably would, because, like a broken record, (so sorry to put it like that); this is all he is focusing on at this point, and he's getting stuck there, just as my hubby is.

It's the same as my hubby insisting there's someone around here poisoning all the cats. So the animal had to be kept locked indoors. In those days, hubby was feeding the cat every few minutes until a lot of its feed had gone rancid. There was absolutely nothing I could do about it, and on top of this, I won't go into details here, but the cat began doing very naughty things. The smell was so bad, I couldn't bear to be in the same room.

Since husband has been in hospital, I've gravitated to putting a toilet tray in, and cat is getting fed far less often. Now, there are absolutely no accidents, or smells. Being able to have the chance to do the right thing has made a whole lot of difference.

If only we knew how to change whatever our husbands are focusing on, that might help. I only wish the focus was on good things, rather than bad. (Need someone with a clue as to how to go about this!) Meanwhile, Angie, if you haven't already, make a list of things that are happening and give to GP, along with your own concerns and how it's all affecting you. You have to make a start somewhere. I know it's tough, and it may have to be repeated endless times. It's this that wears us down. But if we do nothing, we end up just having to bear it, and I can see, from all you've written, you're far from being able, emotionally, to do so. That matters. It really does.

AngelFace64

Jun 19, 2014
Husband

Last week I nursed my husband through concussion after he had fell off his bike. We went to the hospital twice and again I tended to his every need. Things then seemed to be going fine and he seemed to be over the terrible months I have had with him and we started to plan forward with holidays etc.
Then This morning he wouldn't wake up, I make him a coffee and try to talk to him only to point blank not speak and then start accusing me of putting down his son and bad mouthing his family etc. last evening.
No of these conversations happened so again he has had a dream which involves me in the most hateful way.
I have been accused of everything in the book to even sleeping with my brother in law. And every time I forgive him and get over it and start to feel normal again he starts on something else. How can you love and care for someone that makes your life such hell.
I think I've had enough but have to stay to look after him even though he can still do most normal things you do wonder what he might do next.
So fed up. But I know other people are suffering more than me so should pick myself up and carry on but I find it so hard.
Angela.

Angela

I feel for you, you need help you shouldn't have to put up
with his behaviour. I know he is ill my love but get some
kind of help in a carer or speak to someone.

Angelgace

angiebails

Oct 8, 2009
crewe
Well I drove our motorhome to sandringham and then to lincoln for its annual service. I had planned lots to do including the thursford Christmas spectacular which my OH really enjoyed. 10 days and all was good. No one would have guessed what condition he had. Well home for 5 hours and the stress starts because he's cold. Anyone would have thought he'd had his leg amputated. Why is it we put up with so much **** for them to put up with so little. I have had a guts full to be honest. Too think that he gets 5 star catering put before him 3 times a day and everything done for him and all I get is abuse violence and a **** life.
Rant over. I now have to say as he is only in the early stages and having spent14 hours in a & e the other night with a dementia patient calling for his wife all night who had gone home to bed after dropping him off I feel for one and all that are enrolled to talking point.
Please give yourselves the biggest pat on the back because after today and my reaction to the **** I have been dealt I feel I don't cope at all.
What do we do how can we cope. I am so alone with this I am trually fed up and I have such a long way to go. My love for my husband is failing as each time he goes for me with such ferore as to want to kill me I wonder why. What is the point. There isn't one. I read how you carry on with this to the point of care homes, visits etc. and I don't think I can do it.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Well I drove our motorhome to sandringham and then to lincoln for its annual service. I had planned lots to do including the thursford Christmas spectacular which my OH really enjoyed. 10 days and all was good. No one would have guessed what condition he had. Well home for 5 hours and the stress starts because he's cold. Anyone would have thought he'd had his leg amputated. Why is it we put up with so much **** for them to put up with so little. I have had a guts full to be honest. Too think that he gets 5 star catering put before him 3 times a day and everything done for him and all I get is abuse violence and a **** life.
Rant over. I now have to say as he is only in the early stages and having spent14 hours in a & e the other night with a dementia patient calling for his wife all night who had gone home to bed after dropping him off I feel for one and all that are enrolled to talking point.
Please give yourselves the biggest pat on the back because after today and my reaction to the **** I have been dealt I feel I don't cope at all.
What do we do how can we cope. I am so alone with this I am trually fed up and I have such a long way to go. My love for my husband is failing as each time he goes for me with such ferore as to want to kill me I wonder why. What is the point. There isn't one. I read how you carry on with this to the point of care homes, visits etc. and I don't think I can do it.

Angie, your main duty of care is to yourself. You have described in other threads your husband's violence at times. You will be no less dead if he kills you as a result of his dementia! While no-one can make the decision for you, my personal feeling is that you need to be making Social Services, his GP, Consultant and everyone else very forcibly aware of the danger you are in and that you need serious help, and you need it NOW.

hokeycokey

Feb 24, 2014
I agree. You also need to get the police involved when he is violent and also ask for the on call mental health team. This way it will be on record that you cannot cope. I wish you luck, I know how BL**dy hard it is x

loveahug

Nov 28, 2012
Moved to Leicester
We manage to carry on when we don't have to face the aggression that you do Angie. Please, please, next time, leave the house, call the police, that will hopefully get him the help he needs. Do not expose yourself to any more, who will care for him if he harms you? Surely it is better for him to go through the process with you taking care in the background than by himself when tragedy strikes. My heart breaks for you, please take care x

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeacherSue