I need support

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
A spokesman for Bolton Council said the introduction of a council debate after collecting 4,000 signatures had only been recently introduced and to qualify residents must live, work or study in Bolton. But he added: “We will look at petitions on a case by case basis. If close relatives who live outside the area have family in the care homes they would count as they could be affected by this.”

He said the council has a verification system in place to check people’s details.

Tina, there’s something exceedingly peculiar about this! (But you know that already, I guess!)

How on earth is the council’s verification system supposed to be able to check whether Mr A B Resident, living at No. 1 Acacia Avenue, Just Outside Bolton Local Authority Village, is a ‘close relative’ of someone living in the care homes in question?

I presume you’ve seen this already, Tina:

http://www.bolton.gov.uk/sites/documentcentre/Documents/Petitions Document.pdf

Anyone who lives, works or studies in Bolton including under 18s, can sign or organise a petition.

The name, address and signatures of any person supporting the petition (the address can be an address where a signatory lives, works or studies). Will validate 10% of all signatures received by comparing signatures/addresses/e-mail addresses against records held by the Council.

For e-petitions, they only want a name, postcode and e-mail address, for validation.

So, someone living in Surrey, but working in Bolton (unlikely perhaps, but not impossible!) can sign the petition? How does the Council check records for someone working in Bolton, but living elsewhere?

If they are only validating 10% of all signatures, I’d like to think you’re home and dry, Tina! Congratulations all round.

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Well done again, Tina:)

Just seen the paper and you have got bigger coverage than the REMPLOY petition which is aiming for 500,000 signatures nationwide (and best of luck to them!) ... even a ‘headliner’ on the front page! :)

JPG1 – you beat me to it – have already drafted a letter about this utter NONSENSE!!!!:mad:

Luvs, Kaz, x

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
Tina , Kaz, Angela
Congratulations in your combined efforts to achieve the signatures for the petition
I know this is a serious thread (one that I have followed from the beginning )
but I hope the Ladies will forgive me for harking back to the .'Red Hat'
posts.
I am sure that when this battle is won (and it will be) they will be exhausted but will not know what to do next
Alittle bit of research into Red Hat NO************
shows that there is a ladies Red Hat Society in the UK
And their motto is Live - Love - and Laugh
Sounds just the right sort of relaxation for the gallant ladies(they could even start their own chapter)
http://www.redhatladies.co.uk/

Forgive my frivolity , but I have a vivid imagination ( comes with age)
Whatever Congratulations ladies after all your exhausting efforts

jimbo 111

http://www.redhatladies.co.uk/

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Jimbo I love your frivolity - sometimes I need to get off my soapbox and relax and the red hat ladies sound just the job after the campaign (if I still have any energy left)

JPG1 and Karen - you have both expressed what so many others I've spoken to have. I think this is a 'smoke screen' to try to put us off - Well it has had just the opposite effect. Even if they only take 10% (and who reached this arbitary figure??) as legitimate - we'll overcome this.

I'm back in the Town Hall Square 12 to 2pm every day next week. At the rate we've collected so far - that will come to a thousand more by the time we hand it in.

xxTinaT

Last edited:

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Hi Tina – just popping in ... hope today has gone well ... I see your favourite councillor has had a letter published today!;)

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/comment/yourview/9208481.Homes_subject_to_extensive_review/

Why would it not be fair to place someone pending a ‘review’ if the review is only about ‘value for money’????? Hmmm ... scratches chin ...... puzzled brow etc etc ..... cynical, moi?:rolleyes:

Hey ho – this may or may not mean my own letter (written over weekend prior to seeing this) gets published tomorrow ... anyhow ... it is keeping your concerns in the spotlight :) ..... the phrase ‘shooting oneself in the foot’ springs to mind.:rolleyes:

With you in spirit if not in body this week.

Luvs, Kaz, x

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
My God Karen, if it hadn't been for the above post, I would not have known about the latest letter to the local newspaper from the executive councillor!

I've just spent the last hour composing a reply which I desperately hope the newspaper will print either tomorrow or the day after.

The heat is really on. I've spent this afternoon collecting signatures in the Town Hall Sqaure and today have the grand total of 5, 700. I'm not putting this in giant letters as we have already exceeded our target. The reason I'm continuing to collect is so that I have enough to cover any which the council reject as 'not in the district'.

I had a real scare this afternoon whilst canvassing on my own. A group of eastern european 'gypsies' appeared. There was an older woman, a young man, several women and some children. The man stood and the women sat.

They were very close to me and they sat there for about an hour and a half altogether. The older woman came over to me at one point and rummaged through the bags I had at the side of me (fortunately only filled with petitions and filled in sheets). I told her off, to which she got nasty and shouted at me in some language or another.

After another few minutes I got more and more uncomfortable and then, suddenly realised why they were there! Whilst I caused a distraction to people by asking them to sign the petition, they were waiting for the opportunity to pick pocket!!

Every time anyone stopped to sign my petition I warned them about the group sat nearby! I saw a policeman up the street, asked a lady to watch my things and ran off to tell him about the group. He told me they were well known as both pick pockets and shop lifters and called for another police man. I have to say within seconds another policeman was there and they came and stood nearby. The gypsy group quickly vanished into thin air at the sight of the police, leaving me 'feeling all of a tither'. I packed up a few minutes later as the whole experience had upset me.

I now feel a bit queasy about going tomorrow but will do - thank God for the police! I won't let anything stop this petition from happening. Just a few more days to go, then there is the big public meeting on the 30th and the day after we hand in the petition to the mayor at the town hall. I'm hoping son Matthew will arrange for the two local TV news people and the newspapers to be there.

xxTinaT

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hello Tina , Sorry you had a upset to day & as you say Thank goodnes for the Police !

Just sending much Love & Support in your "Fight " Tina & Postive Vibes for lots of Media Coverage ;) :) that is what you need ! !

Take Care

Love Grove x x

beech mount

Sep 1, 2008
Manchester
Tina,those Romanians obviosly had no idia who they were dealing with,i have seen them working in Rome a kick up the A**e is what is needed to move them.
Perhaps they were employed by the LA to get rid of you!
John.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Many thanks Grove,

It is surprising what a bit of publicity can do, even the local letters' page of the local newspaper. I've had people come up to me today saying they read about me in the local paper and giving their signatures.

I don't like all my private business being in the papers, but will put up with it as it helps so much to get local Councillors aware that there is a swell of public opinion against this review.

Hope you are OK tonight.

xxTinaT

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Thanks Tina for your reply & am ok thanks .... not working to day ..... Working in the Garden instead LOL ! !

Why i mentioned about the P R bit saying its what you need is cos am a "Brownie Leader " & some time back had a chance to go for a shortish Training on P R the Lady who did was "High UP "Reporter in the B B C ( think :confused: ) & she said the value of good P R !

Can agree with you about not being in the Paper would feel the same if it was my Dad ...... but as you say Tina if needs MUST etc & it helps with your Signatures / making Councillors more aware of Public feelings etc than would put up with it as you say

Take Care

Love Grove x x

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I went to visit Ken this morning. He was looking fine, clean, shaven and relaxed. He had a mug of coffee next to him so I helped him to drink half of it and then he went to sleep, looking comfortable, in no pain and relaxed.

Then I girded my loins so to speak and went to the Town Hall Square. After a few minutes a friend arrived and stayed with me until 4pm. She knew of my 'gypsy' encounter yesterday and decided to come and support me.

After half an hour of canvassing, two ladies who had signed my petition - didn't know them from Adam - decided they would help. My god, what LOUD VOICES - they went at it with tremndous enthusiasm. They harranged, bullied and pushed every passer by into signing and it was all I could do to keep up with passing round petitions and pens! God bless them and their wonderful enthusiasm.

They are both coming to the meeting on 30th and the petition hand over on the 31st. They were wonderful - an inspiration and will add a massive injection of enthusiasm into it all.

I had to contest with a huge scaffolding excercise in the middle of the town hall square as they errected an enormous tent for the forthcoming food & drink festival. But this did funnel people along a single walkway which meant the footfall was denser. However I had to compete with an electric guitar and singer at one corner, a group of South American pan pipe players in the middle and at the other end an electronic keyboard player and singer - absolute bedlam!! I needed some paracetamol after a couple of hours of shouting over their noise.

I stood as near to the pan pipe players as possible as they were the quitest of the noises and had to shout my head off to get heard. I needed several cups of coffee from the nearby mobile food van to lubricate my throat. Thank God the coffe was instant and didn't cause havock to my digestive system today.

We now have 6,200 signatures!!! And there are a whole group of people who now know more about the reasons behind the petition! The young people were the very best, signed without question and were absolutely an inspiration to me. We needn't worry too much about the rioters - they are definately in the minority and without a single exception, whether they were dressed as 'hoodies' or 'fashionistas' I was proud of their generation today. The hardest people to get to sign were my own generation of 60+. I was dismayed at the way they didn't want to listen, didn't want to spend any time and just walked on, either saying nothing, or completely refusing in an offhand manner!

My friend and I stopped at about 3.30 and sat down. A young Hindu woman sat next to us started talking to us, then took the petition and continued getting people to sign for us - another 20 signatures!!

What a good day!

Will update you tomorrow.

xxTinaT

Last edited:

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Thanks Sylvia your comments are very much appreciated.

I feel I'm on the 'home' stretch as far as the petition is concerned and that helps me to keep going. I've just contacted the local radio station with a view to going in to give a little talk about what I'm doing and why I'm doing it.

We won't know until October what plans the local councillors have approved but I suspect that the fight to keep proper care will not be over, even then.

TP has helped me tremendously, from the general support of people who know the cost of it all, to specific people from TP, headed of course by Karen, who have supplied me with information which has helped tremendously.

Bless you all, each and every one of you. I couldn't have had the strength to get this far without you all.

xxTinaT

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Tina, you have done incredibly well. Not only amassing a huge number of signatures, but inspiring others to get involved, which is never easy.

Your campign has not just benefitted the two homes, but raised the profile of dementia generally. I doubt if there are many people in your area who don't know about it now.

Well done you, and all who have helped.

Love,