I lost my Mum today

MegMog10

Feb 4, 2019
Hello all,

After a very harrowing 12 days without food and 9 days without fluids in palliative care, my darling Mum passed away this afternoon. My Dad and I were thankfully with her and managed to get her blessed by a priest as would be her wish.

She passed before the nurses could set up the syringe driver for her. I found the end distressing but I am glad that she is now at peace x. I feel for all of you going through this end stage. It is so difficult to watch your loved one deteriorate and we felt so helpless.

I will treasure the past few days though, sitting with her and talking and praying with her, brushing her hair, putting cream on her hands and face, giving her mouth care. I feel I got to say everything I wanted to say and could press my forehead against hers and hold her hand.

I have had some very strong premonition dreams this week and also some hours later, by missing my usual petrol station through feeling so distracted, I had to detour past the funeral directors where she was now resting! I stopped outside for a little while. It was hard to believe my Mum was now in there!

I would like to think they are throwing a big party up there in Heaven - she will be reunited with her Mum and Dad and two brothers.

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
V sorry to read your post @MegMog10
Always a shock, even if expected. As you say, your mum is now at peace.
Hope you and your dad can get some rest. Look after each other through your grief process.
Hugs.

Firecatcher

Jan 6, 2020
So sorry to hear your very sad news but am glad you were able to spend time with your Mum in her final days. Sending condolences to you and your family.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Please accept my condolences @MegMog10

I`m also sorry your mum had to wait to benefit from the syringe driver. It was the same for my husband.
The syringe driver was in place but we waited two hours for a district nurse to administer it and those two hours were distressing for my husband and absolutely awful for us so I understand something of your experience.

I hope the coming days are kind to you. .

MegMog10

Feb 4, 2019
Please accept my condolences @MegMog10

I`m also sorry your mum had to wait to benefit from the syringe driver. It was the same for my husband.
The syringe driver was in place but we waited two hours for a district nurse to administer it and those two hours were distressing for my husband and absolutely awful for us so I understand something of your experience.

I hope the coming days are kind to you. .
Thanks Sylvia. Mum was given an injection whilst they were calibrating and doing the paperwork for the syringe driver. It didn’t seem to help much. Mum‘s breathing seemed laboured at the end and then all of a sudden it changed and she had a couple of breaths with a long gap in between and then she passed away.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s good you were with her @MegMog10

Once the syringe driver had been administered, we went home for a change of clothes and a wash. While we were home, we had a phone call.

My husband had passed away without us. One of the carers had been with him. He said my husband shed a tear just before he died. I know this was probably a reflex action but I would have liked to have been able to wipe it away.

MegMog10

Feb 4, 2019
It`s good you were with her @MegMog10

Once the syringe driver had been administered, we went home for a change of clothes and a wash. While we were home, we had a phone call.

My husband had passed away without us. One of the carers had been with him. He said my husband shed a tear just before he died. I know this was probably a reflex action but I would have liked to have been able to wipe it away.
Bless him x

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Sincere condolences to you and your Dad @MegMog10. I hope you both can take some comfort that you were able to be with your Mum at the end.

Take care x

MegMog10

Feb 4, 2019
Wow x we popped out tonight and left the TV on ITV Dirty Dancing x when we came home Smooth Radio was playing. The dogs would have had to have moved the remote channel back 18 places! When Mum and Dad came over for Sunday roast etc we ALWAYS put Smooth Radio on the TV in the background. coincidence?! Like to think it’s a sign from Mum xx

Bettysue

Mar 21, 2020
Hello all,

After a very harrowing 12 days without food and 9 days without fluids in palliative care, my darling Mum passed away this afternoon. My Dad and I were thankfully with her and managed to get her blessed by a priest as would be her wish.

She passed before the nurses could set up the syringe driver for her. I found the end distressing but I am glad that she is now at peace x. I feel for all of you going through this end stage. It is so difficult to watch your loved one deteriorate and we felt so helpless.

I will treasure the past few days though, sitting with her and talking and praying with her, brushing her hair, putting cream on her hands and face, giving her mouth care. I feel I got to say everything I wanted to say and could press my forehead against hers and hold her hand.

I have had some very strong premonition dreams this week and also some hours later, by missing my usual petrol station through feeling so distracted, I had to detour past the funeral directors where she was now resting! I stopped outside for a little while. It was hard to believe my Mum was now in there!

I would like to think they are throwing a big party up there in Heaven - she will be reunited with her Mum and Dad and two brothers.
Hello all,

Sending condolences to you and your dad.
I think you sum up her passing so well in saying that you treasure these last days with her. My partner passed away last year after a full week without food or water. I am very comforted that we spent that week with him,difficult though it was to see him in the final stages. He never feared death and I too envisage him with his loved ones in a better place.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljhurd