I Have Just Been Dianosed With Early Onset Alzheimers

terryt

Just Needed To Register And Hopefully As Time Passes By Be Able To Comunicate With Others And Keep As Sane As Possible For Longer.
My Wife Who Is My Carer Has Taken The News Quite Badly,but She Is A Wonderful Woman And We Have Been Together For 40 Years,but Again As Time Passes By She Will Have Some Difficult Decissions To Make.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Hello Terry

I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I`m glad you`ve found Talking Point [TP] so early on and really hope you will benefit from the mutual support from all members.

susiesue

Hello Terry

Welcome to TP which I hope will help you as much as it has helped me when I felt very alone.

My husband was also diagnosed with probable Early Onset Alzheimers at 65 and therefore I can sympathise with your wife - the intial 'diagnosis' is a shock to all concerned but I am sure she will benefit from the support she will receive on this wonderful TP. These people have all been there and frequently have the answers to any questions you will have or just be there to listen when you or your wife need to talk.

I am sure you will get lots more supportive replies soon.

Take care

Vonny

Hi Terry, and welcome. It must be great shock to both you and your wife but at least you have had an early diagnosis which is helpful.

Both of you will be able to get lots of support from this site, either together or individually. You must know each other pretty well after 40 years! Just to give you a reassuring story: my mum and dad have been married for 60 years this month, and dad has been caring for mum for the last couple of years. I don't see how they can have got closer over those 2 years than the previous 58, but they seem to have done. :) Dad has developed a patience which I'd never have believed possible and they still hug and kiss despite the fact my mum is virtually bed bound and often in a world of her own. When she has her lucid moments, you can see the love in her eyes when she looks at dad, and the look of love he sends back. At those times, life doesn't seem so grim.

All the very best to you both

Vonny xx

Lynne

Welcome Terry

I hope we can offer you & your wife much support, and likewise hope you may perhaps be able to give carers some 1st hand insight from the other side of the fence.

Last edited:

Helen33

Hi Terry

I just wanted to add my Welcome to Talking Point. I do hope that you find the support and contact beneficial. I will look forward to seeing you around the site. Will your wife be joining as well or would that make it more difficult for you? I think I would find it very much different if my husband were able to access the site - I would feel very much more restricted in what I shared.

terryt

Hello Terry

Welcome to TP which I hope will help you as much as it has helped me when I felt very alone.

My husband was also diagnosed with probable Early Onset Alzheimers at 65 and therefore I can sympathise with your wife - the intial 'diagnosis' is a shock to all concerned but I am sure she will benefit from the support she will receive on this wonderful TP. These people have all been there and frequently have the answers to any questions you will have or just be there to listen when you or your wife need to talk.

I am sure you will get lots more supportive replies soon.

Take care
THANKS VERY MUCH FOR TAKING THE TIME TO GET IN TOUCH,CAN YOU TELL ME HOW FAST THIS DESEASE HAS MOVED ON IN YOUR HUSBAND AND HOW YOU ARE COPING,I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT,I ALSO HAVE CORONARY HEART DESEASE AND FEEL THAT I WOULD RATHER DIE FROM MY NEXT HEART ATTACK THAN FROM ALZHEIMERS.

susiesue

Hello again Terry

My husband will be 68 in April and received his 'probable' diagnosis at 65. He had been having problems with 'words' for I think approximately a year before. We have been told that is probably Early Onset Alzheimers although it is not following the normal pattern, but have never been given a definite diagnosis

I can quite honestly say that apart from the 'communication' problem which has got worse, and the resulting confusion, he does not appear to have deteriorated much in other respects. He is still self caring, he still gets around on the train on his own and he loves going on long walks with U3A and also to their Art Class (although he cannot paint to save his life!!) but it keeps him busy and gives me a break.

I think from comments I have received on TP plus looking on the internet that my husband definitely has PPA (Primary Progressive Aphasia) which severely affects speech and judging from your eloquent post, does not seem to be your problem.

I don't think anyone knows what to expect plus everyone is different. I am sure it will take your wife time to come to terms with your diagnosis, as it did me, but you do learn to cope.

There are always people on TP willing to listen and support you -in fact my son introduced me to TP and I am so pleased he did - it makes you feel less alone!

Please try not worry and perhaps it might be an idea for your wife to come on TP too.

Take Care

myheadisinaspin

hi and welcome to tp. what i find interesting is the ammount of people that are now getting a diagnosis. especially early onset, would be intereseting to know how it presented itself to you, what things became obvious to you and love one to seek help. my mum has early onset too, hers started with memory lapses, confusion, financial mistakes (big ones) unable to take instructions ie meds
just not her self, she went from a bubly life and sole of the party to quiet and withdrawn, isolating herself. some people it starts with other things, no two people are the same. when you are ready it would be nice to here a little of your story. it is a shock to all family members when we get a diagnosis, luckily for my mum, she accepts and wanted to know what was wrong with her, which i dont know was a good thing or bad.

florida mel

Sorry to hear your news TerryT. Welcome to Talking Point it is a fountain of knowledge and i'm sure will be helpful for you and your lovely wife.

Tea

Terry, welcome to talking point. My Dad was diagnosed 4 years ago with Early Onset (he was 61 at the time)- he is still grand at most things and enjoys may aspects of his life. I would develop a good relationship with your GP and ask him about Arricept or one of the other medications avaioable out there.

Cl13

Hi Terry, please dont try to live the rest of your life worrying about what may or may not be coming your way, I have been Mums car'er, she has something called Lewy Body, I only know what I've read on forums but we just take each day as it comes if I did'nt I would'nt sleep at night, I just think, prepair for the worst and all good days are a boness, the only thing Mum wanted was to make me Lasting power of eternie,(dont think the spelling is right)lol.
Good luck to you both, Lynn

terryt

Terry, welcome to talking point. My Dad was diagnosed 4 years ago with Early Onset (he was 61 at the time)- he is still grand at most things and enjoys may aspects of his life. I would develop a good relationship with your GP and ask him about Arricept or one of the other medications avaioable out there.
HI,THANKS FOR GETTING IN TOUCH,I HAVE HAD A VISIT TODAY FROM THE ALZHEIMERS SOCIETY SMASHING PEOPLE,THEY ARE GOING TO HELP ME TO SORT OUT ARECEPT AND MANY OTHER THINGS AS WELL,THEY MADE ME FEEL MORE POSITIVE ABOUT THE FUTURE,WITH THEIR HELP I THINK IT WILL BE A MUCH EASIER JOURNEY.

terryt

Hello again Terry

My husband will be 68 in April and received his 'probable' diagnosis at 65. He had been having problems with 'words' for I think approximately a year before. We have been told that is probably Early Onset Alzheimers although it is not following the normal pattern, but have never been given a definite diagnosis

I can quite honestly say that apart from the 'communication' problem which has got worse, and the resulting confusion, he does not appear to have deteriorated much in other respects. He is still self caring, he still gets around on the train on his own and he loves going on long walks with U3A and also to their Art Class (although he cannot paint to save his life!!) but it keeps him busy and gives me a break.

I think from comments I have received on TP plus looking on the internet that my husband definitely has PPA (Primary Progressive Aphasia) which severely affects speech and judging from your eloquent post, does not seem to be your problem.

I don't think anyone knows what to expect plus everyone is different. I am sure it will take your wife time to come to terms with your diagnosis, as it did me, but you do learn to cope.

There are always people on TP willing to listen and support you -in fact my son introduced me to TP and I am so pleased he did - it makes you feel less alone!

Please try not worry and perhaps it might be an idea for your wife to come on TP too.

Take Care

THANKS SUE FOR TAKING THE TIME TO CONTACT ME,THE ALZHIEMERS SOCIETY HAS VISITED ME TODAY AND I THINK WITH THERE HELP THE JOURNEY MAY BE A BIT EASIER,IT ALSO HELPED MY WIFE TO REALISE THERE ARE PEOPLE THAT ARE PREPARED TO HELP HER WHICH IS ACTUALLY MY TOP PRIORITY I WANT HER TO HAVE HER INDEPENDANCE AND ENJOY HER LIFE WITHOUT HAVING TO WORRY ABOUT ME.I ALSO HAVE CORONARY HEART DESEASE AND HAVE HAD TWO HEART ATTACKS.
HAVING SAID ALL THAT I WILL NOT GET DOWN ABOUT ALL THIS I INTEND TO FIGHT ON AND ENJOY THINGS WHERE AND WHEN I CAN.

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Hello terryt

HAVING SAID ALL THAT I WILL NOT GET DOWN ABOUT ALL THIS I INTEND TO FIGHT ON AND ENJOY THINGS WHERE AND WHEN I CAN.

And so say Ron and I:)

Barb X & Ron X

Scottie45

Welcome Terry

Hello and welcome to TP,i hope you will find this site very helpful.Everyone is very helpful and so friendly.I hope your wife and you are now a bit more settled now you have had a visit from the Alzheimers Society.My take on this disease is to take it one day at a time.Take care and reguards to your wife.Marian

myheadisinaspin

herry and welcome, can i ask how you arrange for someone from alzeimers society to call, please as i think could do with a chat etc about future thanks