I have a very bad memory but my GP is not sure

Shash7677

Sep 15, 2012
Nuneaton, warwickshire
Hi,

Sorry to hear you lost your job. If you find it difficult to express your feelings to your GP can you not write them down and take them in to your appointment? Hand them to the Gp and let them read them. They can then ask you questions from there.

Do you think you are maybe embarrassed to tell your GP what has been happening? Sometimes we hold back and don't tell the full story, if you write it down and write everything down you may be able to avoid any embarrassment as you aren't having to say the words. Maybe start by explaining your thoughts about the GP and what they are going to think about what you have written?

It's just a thought as it sounds like you really do need some help and are reluctant for whatever fears you may have to seek it.

Take care

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
I know a lot of my concern about the GP's etc is my own probably irrational thinking, but I do worry about what they will say if they find something worse wrong with me than I think there may be.

It will be best to know and it could be something simple and easy remedied you never know until you go,

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
One of the ways prostate cancer is treated is to reduce testosterone in the body by injections of female hormones.

If you have high levels which are causing your " events" then this might very well help.

It is obviously a very embarrassing complex situation you are in, and I wish I could offer some real help.

I hope you do keep going to your GP you cannot spend the rest of your life without someone in the medical profession really listening to you and trying to help

Jeannette

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Hiya Dean,

I have just seen your thread and wonder if part of the problem is that it is very difficult to explain something second hand to your GP because you are not aware of what is happening until someone tells you. For this reason, I wonder if your friend Dawn would go to the GP with you and join you at the start of your appointment to explain to the GP what happened and how she was shocked at what you were going through, especially the part where you had no awareness of it at all. Isolation might feel like your best option but in fact what you need is a group of supportive family and friends around you who can help fill in the gaps as they might hold the key piece of information that leads to a proper diagnosis.

As embarrassed or scared that you might feel, please tell your GP the whole story. What you need is an accurate diagnosis and not just dealing with it through trial and error. If your car brakes down you take it to a garage and tell them everything that happened so they car repair it properly. You don't leave out half the details in the hope the garage will somehow figure it out themselves. Your body is like that car. You need a proper overhaul in order to get it mended properly.

I would reconsider using the diary again but this time write down each day how you are feeling. What problem you have had to deal with. If you have an episode and someone else was there get them to write down in the diary what they witnessed and between you, make a note of the circumstances under which the episode happened. What time of day it was. We're you relaxed or stressed. Was there any warning signs. How long did the episode last. Get as much information down on paper as you can. Then take this to any medical appointments with you. A medical person can quickly get useful information from this that you would never cover in a 30 min appointment. They can see immediately what the current challenges are for you. They can see if things are stable or if there has been deterioration. They can look at the progression of things over time.

I hope you feel there is progress being made when you meet your GP on Monday. Don't give up. Hang in there until they find what is going on.

Fiona

Dean80

Jul 15, 2013
London
Hiya Dean,

I have just seen your thread and wonder if part of the problem is that it is very difficult to explain something second hand to your GP because you are not aware of what is happening until someone tells you. For this reason, I wonder if your friend Dawn would go to the GP with you and join you at the start of your appointment to explain to the GP what happened and how she was shocked at what you were going through, especially the part where you had no awareness of it at all. Isolation might feel like your best option but in fact what you need is a group of supportive family and friends around you who can help fill in the gaps as they might hold the key piece of information that leads to a proper diagnosis.

As embarrassed or scared that you might feel, please tell your GP the whole story. What you need is an accurate diagnosis and not just dealing with it through trial and error. If your car brakes down you take it to a garage and tell them everything that happened so they car repair it properly. You don't leave out half the details in the hope the garage will somehow figure it out themselves. Your body is like that car. You need a proper overhaul in order to get it mended properly.

I would reconsider using the diary again but this time write down each day how you are feeling. What problem you have had to deal with. If you have an episode and someone else was there get them to write down in the diary what they witnessed and between you, make a note of the circumstances under which the episode happened. What time of day it was. We're you relaxed or stressed. Was there any warning signs. How long did the episode last. Get as much information down on paper as you can. Then take this to any medical appointments with you. A medical person can quickly get useful information from this that you would never cover in a 30 min appointment. They can see immediately what the current challenges are for you. They can see if things are stable or if there has been deterioration. They can look at the progression of things over time.

I hope you feel there is progress being made when you meet your GP on Monday. Don't give up. Hang in there until they find what is going on.

Fiona

Hi Fiona, after all the advice I have recieved on here I did decide to talk to Dawn and my new GP about it, I asked Dawn if she would write down a diary of what happens so my GP could see it it and she did, but after reading six more occasions in the diary and the fact Dawn was not taking it seriously I was too embarrassed to give it to my GP as it was more than Dawn told me after it happened, but I did see the GP and she has arranged for further tests to be done although I do not know what they are as she said I would get a letter explaining the appointment but it has not arrived yet. My new concern is that Dawn has told her friends about what she wrote, and I keep myself to myself as I know some of the women at my old job know her and her friends and after seeing them out a few times and the comments they have made in relation to what they saw upset me so I decided to stay indoors more often which at first got me down but I have a new counselor now who I have been able to talk with and she has been good for me and understanding even when I had a few recent moments there.

Last edited:

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Dean

I am sorry that your friend Dawn let you down, but I am pleased that you now have two professional woman who are taking things seriously and helping with this. Did the GP refer you to a memory clinic perhaps? If so the tests are fairly standard and involve asking you questions, getting you to try and remember certain things then asking you later to try and remember what you had been told, that kind of thing. The questions might seem daft but they are to build up a picture of what you are struggling with for example, is it words ... Do you have more problems with words that are spoken to you rather than words that are written down...maybe it is numbers that are a problem ... They might ask you to do some mental arithmetic in your head or they might get you to look at some numbers that are written down. Another thing the memory clinic often covers is to arrange an MRI scan for you. This will help rule things out as well as hopefully give them an idea of what damage has been done to your brain (if any) and what areas might be affected.

I love the idea of you having access to a counsellor. They can be the best thing if you find one that you can relate to, which sounds like the one you are seeing! I hope you are finding that she is helping you through this.

As to other people,... You are someone with an illness. You should not have to hide away because of this. If people cannot have compassion for what others are going through then they're not who you need right now. I am a believer that you will find people on a journey like this that you resonate with and who will help you through this...there are two such people that are new since we last talked, so they are out there.

Fiona

Dean80

Jul 15, 2013
London
Dean

I am sorry that your friend Dawn let you down, but I am pleased that you now have two professional woman who are taking things seriously and helping with this. Did the GP refer you to a memory clinic perhaps? If so the tests are fairly standard and involve asking you questions, getting you to try and remember certain things then asking you later to try and remember what you had been told, that kind of thing. The questions might seem daft but they are to build up a picture of what you are struggling with for example, is it words ... Do you have more problems with words that are spoken to you rather than words that are written down...maybe it is numbers that are a problem ... They might ask you to do some mental arithmetic in your head or they might get you to look at some numbers that are written down. Another thing the memory clinic often covers is to arrange an MRI scan for you. This will help rule things out as well as hopefully give them an idea of what damage has been done to your brain (if any) and what areas might be affected.

I love the idea of you having access to a counsellor. They can be the best thing if you find one that you can relate to, which sounds like the one you are seeing! I hope you are finding that she is helping you through this.

As to other people,... You are someone with an illness. You should not have to hide away because of this. If people cannot have compassion for what others are going through then they're not who you need right now. I am a believer that you will find people on a journey like this that you resonate with and who will help you through this...there are two such people that are new since we last talked, so they are out there.

Fiona

Hi Fiona,

My GP is sending me for scans (again) but different, although I can't remember the terminology she used and my counselor is a wonderful person but Dawn has since sent me photos she took of the last occasion she was there when I had a moment and I am humiliated as I now have an idea what happened at the gym too, and do not know how to show the photos to my GP or Counsellor as I am worried they will stop seeing me. As I said to another user, I am finding drinking whiskey (Jack Daniels is my favourite) and staying in watching movies is making me now feel better than playing guitar or producing art. I miss my job at the gym and have not worked out in weeks.Dawn has now clearly stated that because of my age/looks and money I made from my work she does not believe I could have the memory problems and that what I did was probably me doing it on purpose, but how could I do that at the gym with my clients and pretend. She said it was because they were attractive women....I am so upset with all of it.

Last edited:

Limber

Aug 15, 2013
Dean....I'm so sorry for your situation. I have no different advice to offer from what has already been suggested. I just wanted you to know I've read your forum and really do feel for your situation. Please keep us all posted. This community is really caring. I only recently joined because my father was diagnosed with Early onset Alzheimer's. unfortunately, this disease can start young, although it is uncommon. I feel concerned because I have a 50% chance of inheriting it.

Limber

Aug 15, 2013
Sorry....my daughter pressed send! I wasn't ready :-/ Now I have people at my door.....ttyl

Dean80

Jul 15, 2013
London
Dean....I'm so sorry for your situation. I have no different advice to offer from what has already been suggested. I just wanted you to know I've read your forum and really do feel for your situation. Please keep us all posted. This community is really caring. I only recently joined because my father was diagnosed with Early onset Alzheimer's. unfortunately, this disease can start young, although it is uncommon. I feel concerned because I have a 50% chance of inheriting it.

Hello Limber, I believe I could have got this passed down from family. You are so right about about the people on here being supportive as I honestly do not know what I would have done without them. i was so close to doing something final before I found this site and now (even though I do drink more due to depression not related to what any one has said on here) I feel I have a community I can talk to and do not feel quite so alone anymore. Please keep using the site as they are really the true good people of society and will be there for you as they are for me. Keep in touch.

Shash7677

Sep 15, 2012
Nuneaton, warwickshire
Hi There,

I'm glad you have spoken to your GP and are having further tests, the more you can do to try and help yourself the better you will feel I'm sure.

Not much more I can offer at the minute I'm afraid but it sounds like you are taking some positive steps.

Take care and keep posting,

Sharon

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Not sure that the Jack Daniels is ideal, so maybe popcorn instead hahaha. If you are embarrassed about sharing information with the GP/counsellor, then how about speaking to them about sending it to them Instead. They might tell you, for example, that there is no need as they now understand what is happening. Does not matter how bad you think things are, you are not the only person who has suffered these things.

Playing guitar is good both for memory and dexterity of movements too. Get on you tube and do a series of guitar lessons, I have yet to find anything good. Most frustrating is when you find a good Lesson 1 then discover there is no lesson 2! Grrrrrrrrr. I just bought a 5 string banjo too so am learning that just now. I'll give you a laugh...because I am deaf, I have always had to rely on someone to tune the instruments for me. Now with an electronic tuner thingy, my sister said it is the first time she has ever heard me play in tune!!! :eek:

Fiona

PS. I have sent you some information by PM (look right at the very top of this page, clock on notifications, that will take you to your Private Message (PM) Inbox).

PPS. What can you use to harden my finger tips? Surgical Spirit maybe? They are agony right now. LOLOL

Last edited:

Dean80

Jul 15, 2013
London
Not sure that the Jack Daniels is ideal, so maybe popcorn instead hahaha. If you are embarrassed about sharing information with the GP/counsellor, then how about speaking to them about sending it to them Instead. They might tell you, for example, that there is no need as they now understand what is happening. Does not matter how bad you think things are, you are not the only person who has suffered these things.

Playing guitar is good both for memory and dexterity of movements too. Get on you tube and do a series of guitar lessons, I have yet to find anything good. Most frustrating is when you find a good Lesson 1 then discover there is no lesson 2! Grrrrrrrrr. I just bought a 5 string banjo too so am learning that just now. I'll give you a laugh...because I am deaf, I have always had to rely on someone to tune the instruments for me. Now with an electronic tuner thingy, my sister said it is the first time she has ever heard me play in tune!!! :eek:

Fiona

PS. I have sent you some information by PM (look right at the very top of this page, clock on notifications, that will take you to your Private Message (PM) Inbox).

PPS. What can you use to harden my finger tips? Surgical Spirit maybe? They are agony right now. LOLOL

fi, you are an angel, to toughen your fingers, place all your fingertips on the low E and gently rub them up and down the neck of the Banjo for about 20 sec at a time for about a minute overall. this will toughen them up over a week quickly, but then stopp for a week and repeat.

Dean80

Jul 15, 2013
London
How are you doing, Dean?

Hi Limber,

I am okay at the moment apart from being awake since yesterday, I have almost drank all my JD lol. I had a message from another member on here and we had a good chat and it was nice to be able to fully say what has happened as it is too much to post on the main forums, but her advice did not really work the way we hoped, although it was still good of her to suggest. My so called friend Dawn is still creating problems for me involving the photos and friends and other things. The 'moments' over the last two weeks have been more frequent than ever, but I think this is due to Dawn causing added stress, when they happen at home it is fine as no one is around, but it's when I am out some where that it can be embarresing. So, after my yabbering on, how are you x

Limber

Aug 15, 2013
Dean, as hard as this is for you, rather than feel ashamed or embarrassed, maybe try telling people you are I'll right now. This could happen to anyone. It would be so nice to remove any "stigmas" attached to certain illnesses. It is not your fault. I do hope you have made some positive progress. This could be a very complex long drawn out process. Be patient with yourself and surround yourself with the people who truly care and love you. Do you have family near by? Are they of any comfort? My dad was diagnosed this year with early onset Alzheimer's and its been extremely difficult for him and all of us (his family). He knew something was wrong. In our heart of hearts, so did we. He use to speak publicly and now he is so ashamed or anxious he will embarrass himself. It's sad because its not his fault. People need to be more understanding. I sure hope you don't have this god forbidden disease. Hugs
Xx