I feel guilty

harveyh

Sep 26, 2023
My 92yr old mum was admitted to hospital with low sodium and a water infection. The low sodium was due to her not absorbing as she suffers with IBS . Mum came home for a week as a trial with 4 care visits a day and suffered dilerium , sodium levels had dropped again . Back into hospital and the Social Worker queried with her , long term what did she want to do and how would she cope on her own in the evening after the last carer had left and mum said she wouldn’t be able to cope. The decision to look for Residential Care began . At this point mum was anxious, behaving erratically , paranoid and fixated with “who is paying “ “ if I don’t pay I will have to leave “ ( NHS) I found out mum had been taken off her anxiety medication whilst in hospital that she’d been on for 17 years as the possible cause of her low sodium, but what we thought was dementia was probably the withdrawal symptoms of the medication.
I finally managed to get mum restarted on a similar medication and whilst there has been an improvement in her anxiety she is now fixated on bowels , other patients in the home who are far worse than she is and so feels she shouldn’t be there but should be back at home and I look after her with x 4 carers a day , she cry’s daily and the tale of woe is cutting. Mum has her mobile phone and I’ve removed a couple of numbers at the requests of friends as her very frequent and disturbing calls are all positive/negative. “ the weather is lovely today “ “ it’ll rain later “
“ I thought I’d better eat some crisps today before I can’t wear my teeth anymore “
“I thought I should tell you I’m now losing the ability to be continent but I’m only your mother what do you care “ I’ve told her they are distressing calls but she’s under the impression that it’s “ not about you , we’re talking about me”
Mum has a bowel and a bladder prolapse so is prone to water infections. These , you can guarantee will be on a Friday just when surgery isn’t available until Monday!
She is in a lovely Home , one which she asked to go to , but declined that this is the one she’s in .
She walks well but is convinced she’ll have a fall as one of the other residents has and now she’s “got two black eyes and I know that I’ll be the next victim. I’ll be lucky to see Christmas I’ve lost that much weight “!
And it goes on . Unfortunately I was an only child and my father has been gone many years, mum has had and enjoyed independence up until May and she’s not accepting that she now needs more attention than I can cope with , mentally. My husband and I take the phone calls between us and we visit once a week but we feel it’s a challenge rather than a pleasure. Will this guilt get easier? The Dr suspect’s dementia but the CT scan found nothing.
Thanks for letting me ramble!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome to the forum @harveyh

Allow the guilt to get easier. It's too much to expect anyone to live with that level of negativity however ill your mother is.

harveyh

Sep 26, 2023
Welcome to the forum @harveyh

Allow the guilt to get easier. It's too much to expect anyone to live with that level of negativity however ill your mother is.
Thankyou, it’s nice to be able to “talk” through and also read I’m not alone in the feeling of guilt. She had a visitor today who reported back to me that “ oh dear your mum really hates it in there , she’s given me a letter to post without letting my daughter know ( me) ! In it she’s a jumble of words, jumping from one thought to another, accusing the staff that as she’s the last person to join the home that’s the reason why she’s served last and attended to last ! And she is now asking for her solicitor as she wants to add her jewellery to her will . I’m concerned that if anyone visits she’ll start giving her jewellery away as she obviously doesn’t trust me as I’ve put her in a home . Her friend told her that her aunt is looking for a Residential Home and her reply “ for Gods sake don’t let her come here , they returned my trousers as I’ve got to have a minimum of 5 items so I will just have to smell “! I’ve explained that she can’t expect them to wash her clothes one at a time no different to when she did her own washing she had to have a load . And I pointed out she has lots of clothes to wear and no need to be upset about the laundry, but I could tell she wasn’t any happier.

Bfam

Jun 24, 2017
Thankyou, it’s nice to be able to “talk” through and also read I’m not alone in the feeling of guilt. She had a visitor today who reported back to me that “ oh dear your mum really hates it in there , she’s given me a letter to post without letting my daughter know ( me) ! In it she’s a jumble of words, jumping from one thought to another, accusing the staff that as she’s the last person to join the home that’s the reason why she’s served last and attended to last ! And she is now asking for her solicitor as she wants to add her jewellery to her will . I’m concerned that if anyone visits she’ll start giving her jewellery away as she obviously doesn’t trust me as I’ve put her in a home . Her friend told her that her aunt is looking for a Residential Home and her reply “ for Gods sake don’t let her come here , they returned my trousers as I’ve got to have a minimum of 5 items so I will just have to smell “! I’ve explained that she can’t expect them to wash her clothes one at a time no different to when she did her own washing she had to have a load . And I pointed out she has lots of clothes to wear and no need to be upset about the laundry, but I could tell she wasn’t any happier.
Please don’t feel guilty, in my experience on the whole the residents in my Dads care home (that I volunteered at) had a lovely time and it always amazed me how they saved up all their ‘moans’ for when loved ones visited! With my Dad I found reassuring & distracting (pictures/stories of family, games, music…) worker better than trying to solve problems - it did help that he would forget so I would tell him I would ‘sort it out’ so he could let go of his ‘worry’.
We decided no point in all being miserable & if visiting upset us we wouldn’t visit, thankfully it never came to that.
You have nothing to feel guilty about
sending best wishes x

harveyh

Sep 26, 2023
Please don’t feel guilty, in my experience on the whole the residents in my Dads care home (that I volunteered at) had a lovely time and it always amazed me how they saved up all their ‘moans’ for when loved ones visited! With my Dad I found reassuring & distracting (pictures/stories of family, games, music…) worker better than trying to solve problems - it did help that he would forget so I would tell him I would ‘sort it out’ so he could let go of his ‘worry’.
We decided no point in all being miserable & if visiting upset us we wouldn’t visit, thankfully it never came to that.
sending best wishes x
Thankyou, I like the quote “ no point in all being miserable “! It’s true . My daughter has suggested that we don’t answer her Constant phone calls/voicemails/texts above 1 a day , it’s the same conversation repeated at various times, bowels, continence issues, teeth, losing weight, laundry, eye sight ! And occasionally remembers to ask what we’ve been doing!!!

try again

Jun 21, 2018
It's not a good idea for someone to have jewelry in a home as things get lost.
Ask the staff how she is when you are not around, PWDs often like to complain.
If she has lost capacity she will not be able to change her will and if she has capacity, she has the right to leave the place whenever she wants.
She is safe now, block her phone number and check messages. Unblock her number when it suits you. Else incapacitate her phone in some way

harveyh

Sep 26, 2023
It's not a good idea for someone to have jewelry in a home as things get lost.
Ask the staff how she is when you are not around, PWDs often like to complain.
If she has lost capacity she will not be able to change her will and if she has capacity, she has the right to leave the place whenever she wants.
She is safe now, block her phone number and check messages. Unblock her number when it suits you. Else incapacitate her phone in some way
Thankyou for replying. Her jewellery that she is referring to are her rings that she doesn’t remove ( they were loose but I lent her one that she wears on top to keep the others safe ) . We removed a few telephone numbers as she was calling people constantly and now because she can’t find even ones we haven’t removed,she accuses me of “ controlling “ her phone,

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
@harveyh It is not easy when someone first moves into residential care but most people do settle through time. Unfortunately as a person with dementia loses the ability to do something, say making phone calls, it is always someone else's fault. That is usually the person closest to them. All you can do is try to ignore the accusations, not easy I know but important for your own health.

Ellie2018

Jun 26, 2023
sending best wishes x
What a great insight that most of us don’t see. I think that will be really helpful for others, we in,y see what we see in visits and not everything else.

harveyh

Sep 26, 2023
@harveyh It is not easy when someone first moves into residential care but most people do settle through time. Unfortunately as a person with dementia loses the ability to do something, say making phone calls, it is always someone else's fault. That is usually the person closest to them. All you can do is try to ignore the accusations, not easy I know but important for your own health.
Thankyou, I appreciate you took the time to reply, I think if I had an official diagnosis I might be able to move on , until the MH Team make an assessment I feel I’m in limbo and guilty as charged!

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Thankyou, I appreciate you took the time to reply, I think if I had an official diagnosis I might be able to move on , until the MH Team make an assessment I feel I’m in limbo and guilty as charged!
I can understand that, hopefully the assessment will not take too long to come through.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Her jewellery that she is referring to are her rings that she doesn’t remove ( they were loose but I lent her one that she wears on top to keep the others safe )
Be careful. Mum had her rings that she never removed until one day she did.
She took them off in a communal bathroom and left them beside the washhand basin. Fortunately a member of staff found them and I got them back, but it could have been another resident who then squirrelled them away. Mum never even noticed that her rings were missing..........

harveyh

Sep 26, 2023
Be careful. Mum had her rings that she never removed until one day she did.
She took them off in a communal bathroom and left them beside the washhand basin. Fortunately a member of staff found them and I got them back, but it could have been another resident who then squirrelled them away. Mum never even noticed that her rings were missing..........
Happy ending thankfully, mum is so suspicious and thinks I’m avaricious , and quote “ you’ve got enough “ so she wouldn’t hand them to me for safe keeping. Only last week she said she’s putting them in the safe at the Home with a note to who they should go to . She’ rang at 5.30a to tell me that if I loved her why am I treating her like this . She rang at 5.40 to say “this is goodbye “, rang at 6.15 to say “ where’s my money “. 🤷‍♀️

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Only last week she said she’s putting them in the safe at the Home with a note to who they should go to .
If she would do this it would solve the problem. Could you ask the care home manager whether they would try and encourage her to do this?

harveyh

Sep 26, 2023
If she would do this it would solve the problem. Could you ask the care home manager whether they would try and encourage her to do this?
Well , a little update . Mum handed all her rings to me as they dropped off her and the care home didn’t want the responsibility longer than necessary. The phone issue has been resolved, mum threw it in the bin as she couldn’t get someone to answer ! and unfortunately the cleaning staff disposed of it , mum is now upset what she has done but for now I won’t be reinstating a telephone!