I cant bring myself to putting my wife in a dementia home

ike

May 8, 2023
My wife has late stage V Dementia, carers come in for 1 hr in the morning and 30 mins evening , its getting very hard at times and she falls a lot but always on her back , im struggling to get her to go to a day center or go for restbite, what can i do to keep her home and some how get more help please

Buntie123

Jan 2, 2023
Wirral
Hi x. My husband isx66. LBD. Can u contact your social services adult for a needs assessment on your wife and a care assessment for you

my fears of involving Ss. We’re not as expected they provide some help then leave you alone until you ask for more help

But first thing they did was give me the carer a 300 pd gift card to spend on relaxation activities

My adult Social services was on the Wirral but I’m sure other councils in England do similar

Also ask for attendance allowance if your over 66. It is not taxable Then you can qualify for 25 per cent off your council tax

I hope this post is helpful. Dementia is a horrible illness and we need as much support as possible to each other. 24/7 job it really is x much love x

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Definitely speak with social services and ask for more care to be put in . Is your wife self funding? If so you could just make an arrangement for more care yourself.
Why are you so against her going into a home? Whatever the reason, maybe you could visit a few to see if they confirm your fears or give you a pleasant surprise. If your wife is falling at home and getting harder to care for , she maybe at risk at home and having 24/7 care could be the best thing for her. I know this is not an easy decision to make.

jay6

Jun 25, 2023
All you can do is try talking to social to see if they can offer you any more help. Unfortunately, If you are self funding they may recommend you source this yourself, which is an added burden on top of caring work.
If she is falling a lot maybe it's time to consider a home? It's not an easy decision by any means, but may be safer for her. She could really hurt herself if she hit her head or something on way down.