I am so stressed by my bullying brother over our joint POA it is making me ill

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
The one pitfall I'd like to mention when registering your own attorneyship with the bank is that while they usually accept there can be more than one attorney, often they only want to have to deal with one person. They want one address to send bank statements to, and one person to have a debit card and/or cheque book for the account. If this is the case and they consider having done their duty with your brother, then all you could realistically do is set up Internet banking that could in theory be shared with your brother.

My daughter and I have registered poa with dads bank and we both have cards and statements sent to us and can both register for online banking on his account

HelenC23

Dec 1, 2018
there is no formal assessment required. And I don't think you are doing yourself any favours by banging on about capacity. You need to do what others have told you to do - register your LPA with the bank and go from''

Jennifer thank you for your response but I can assure you I am NOT ' banging on about capacity '

There is an assessment for capacity and it is enshrined in law under the mental health act ,

I also understood that always acting in the 'best interests'of the donor , is the most important thing that the attorney can do

Cutting a vulnerable person off from their finances when the person who did this is 300 miles away , with no warning is not a acting in their best interests

And to claim someone had no capacity when they can use their cash card , is just being untruthful , so I am not banging on about capacity

Capacity is the central issue here - thank you for sharing perspective

HelenC23

Dec 1, 2018
My daughter and I have registered poa with dads bank and we both have cards and statements sent to us and can both register for online banking on his account
Thanks you beate and bunpoots

I wonder which bank your dad is with bun poots? Because if the bank as mentioned does not reinstate my mums access then I have decided to go with her to open a new account - that will allow POA and my mum to all have access

I don't agree with banks that discriminate against people who have alzheimers , not allowing them access to their own money

HelenC23

Dec 1, 2018
The one pitfall I'd like to mention when registering your own attorneyship with the bank is that while they usually accept there can be more than one attorney, often they only want to have to deal with one person. They want one address to send bank statements to, and one person to have a debit card and/or cheque book for the account. If this is the case and they consider having done their duty with your brother, then all you could realistically do is set up Internet banking that could in theory be shared with your brother.

Oh dear , my siblings lives 300 miles away, I do all the day to day care of my mum, that would be a really problem

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Thanks you beate and bunpoots

I wonder which bank your dad is with bun poots? Because if the bank as mentioned does not reinstate my mums access then I have decided to go with her to open a new account - that will allow POA and my mum to all have access

I don't agree with banks that discriminate against people who have alzheimers , not allowing them access to their own money

My dad is with Santander. He also has access to his account although I’m going to ask them to cancel that soon as he has no interest at all in his own finances!!

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
My dad is with Santander. He also has access to his account although I’m going to ask them to cancel that soon as he has no interest at all in his own finances!!
My mum is also with Santander and they seem to have a flexible view towards access for both attorneys and the account holder. The only change to my mums accounts was that we arranged for her to be paperless and not receive statements as we knew it would upset her to see that we had transferred a huge surplus from her current account to her savings.

We found the advice and help given to us by the LPA department invaluable.