I am allowed to ask care home to see daily reports or weekly reports, all logged.

J W

Apr 19, 2013
Trying to get a fuller picture of what happens 24/7 instead of the short times we visit each week.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello JW

You don`t say how close your relationship is with the person in residential care.

You should be able to have access to your relatives case notes at any time as long as the relative is a close one and no other family members object.

I can access my husband`s case notes on demand. .

J W

Apr 19, 2013
Its my parent in the home and i am the main one who visits and who takes care of things.
You call them case notes, what type of details do they contain ie eating, behaviour,sleeping etc.
would they also put down if any medication is hard to administer, or even being refused.
I am losing a bit of trust at the minute and just wonder if the notes will be a real accurate picture of what the daily routine is.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
The case notes or care plan is updated daily in my husband`s home and contain details of all aspects of his care and daily living.

The file is massive as he has been there three and a half years.

J W

Apr 19, 2013
The case notes or care plan is updated daily in my husband`s home and contain details of all aspects of his care and daily living.

The file is massive as he has been there three and a half years.

Thanks for the reply.

Is it the care home manager who lets you look at the notes and does it have to be read in their office?

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
The nurse on my husband's wing of the nursing home has the Care plan for my husband. I have to mention that the SW who was involved when he went into the nursing home did say that I would need to have an LPA in place before I could have the automatic right to see the plan. This was before I received my Deputyship. Though this does not include Health and Welfare, as next of kin, I have not had a problem accessing this plan. I don't ask to see it that often though as there are numerous daily care sheets are on a clipboard in my husband's room all the time and include all details about his times of being hoisted into his chair, returned to bed,when turned, marks noticed, fluid intake and output, any behaviour issues, meals given and amount eaten etc.etc. etc.

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
The CH where my MIL is now has told us that all close family members can see her care plan at any time "with her consent", which they usually say with a tone of voice that indicates they would apply this restriction very loosely with the right sort of question to MIL to get her to give the right answer. :rolleyes:

She also is allowed to see her own care plan. It is obvious that she has been reading it because she has been quoting chunks of it back to me in language that she would not normally be able to use. I'm not sure whether the carers know this or whether they are leaving the care plans on tables where she will look at them. Last time I visited she was walking around with her own care plan folder and had fished a clipboard out of a kitchen drawer that had someone else's obs sheets for several months on it. :eek:

They really need to keep things more securely when they have a highly ambulant resident with a professional medical background who is desperately seeking 'something written down' to explain to her why the cuckoo she is being held there against her will. :(

J W

Apr 19, 2013
Well i dont have LPA or Deputyship yet and there is no chance of getting consent,because there is no understanding or capacity anymore. 100% relient on carers.

PeggySmith

Apr 16, 2012
BANES
I'm just about to complete the utterly dreadful form for attendance allowance as DWP say that even though she gets the lower amount, we have to start again to get the higher amount. I popped into the CH today to ask about filling it out up there and using MIL's care plan to help me and their only concern was where I was going to work if the hairdresser was in.

Re Saffie's point about LPA, OH and his brother have financial LPA buy not the welfare one and I don't have anything. If people won't share, what do they have to hide?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks for the reply.

Is it the care home manager who lets you look at the notes and does it have to be read in their office?

As far as I know, any member of staff can give me the file and I can read it in the sitting room while I sit with my husband.

PeggySmith

Apr 16, 2012
BANES
It was the administrator who agreed but the manager was there at the time and I wouldn't be in the office because it's too small.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Re Saffie's point about LPA, OH and his brother have financial LPA buy not the welfare one and I don't have anything. If people won't share, what do they have to hide?
I did say'automatic' right and I think the SW was only covering herself. As I said, I have not met any resistance to my seeing the plan. The records in the rooms are very detailed though and anyone who visits can see those.

J W

Apr 19, 2013
I did say'automatic' right and I think the SW was only covering herself. As I said, I have not met any resistance to my seeing the plan. The records in the rooms are very detailed though and anyone who visits can see those.

I have never noticed any care sheets/notes in the bedroom, i will look next time but none in a prominent place.

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
The information will not necessarily be on view, otherwise it could be taken by other residents or even taken by the person the info is about and put somewhere else .

The notes will probably be in the room but in a concealed place.

The notes about my husband when he was in respite were in a picture on the wall which was proud of the wall and the door slid sideways.

The notes were easy to reach for care assistants so they could keep it up to date, but not in plain sight.

Jeannette

PeggySmith

Apr 16, 2012
BANES
rajahh
The information will not necessarily be on view, otherwise it could be taken by other residents or even taken by the person the info is about and put somewhere else .

In MIL's care home the notes are kept well away from visitors and residents - I've been shown them when we were discussing her weight so I don't think they're secret but Iwouldn't want to read all the nitty gritty stuff anyway.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton

The notes will probably be in the room but in a concealed place.
My husband is in a nursing home and he cannot walk or move much by himself and most of the residents have to be hoisted and couple on his wing who can walk use walkers and are quite frail and unwell. I can't see anyone taking the notes.
My husband would not be able to read or understand what is written there anyway.
These are simply the daily records. As I mentioned, the Careplan itself is shut away in a cupboard in the nurse's room.
I read the record every time I visit. That way I am aware what my husband has for his meals and how much of it he eats. Also, the fluid record is important as he has kidney disease.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Care plans must always be kept in a safe, secure place because of confidentiality. Most care homes are very pleased to have relatives not only see the care plan but also to sign it to show they have read it and also to contribute to the care plan any knowledge they have to help to make it a personal and relevant document for the relative's general care.

Daily care notes are just that, a daily record of the relative's state of health on a particular day and the general daily things done for the resident. These can and should be referred to in writing up any changes in the care plan. Care plans document any assessments which have been made and are the basis from which daily care is given

The care plan is the basis of all care given to the resident.

xxTinaT

Last edited:

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Most care homes are very pleased to have relatives not only see the care plan but also to sign it to show they have read it and also to contribute to the care plan any knowledge they have to help to make it a personal and relevant document for the relative.
Yes, every so often I have to sign the Care plan. Usually when medication has been changed or something else has been amended. It is also reviewed at intervals.

Last edited:

J W

Apr 19, 2013
Daily care notes are just that, a daily record of the relative's state of health on a particular day and the general daily things done for the resident.

xxTinaT

Yes they are the notes i would not mind seeing, about whats happening daily/weekly.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I am losing a bit of trust at the minute and just wonder if the notes will be a real accurate picture of what the daily routine is.

I can see that something is worrying you from the above quote from your posts about the general care in the home. If you have specific worries I would talk with the care home manager who may be able to help.

If you are worried about the general care it might be better rather than reading notes if you can try to visit the home more often and stay for periods such as meal times etc.., No notes can give you a clearer picture of what is really going on than actually being there yourself and watching the general routine revolving around your relative.

I do appreciate how difficult this can be but in all honesty, if you have worries about care, you need to have examples of what exactly is worrying you.

Sorry not to be of more help.

xxTinaT

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grandaughtercare