I’m Frightened

Nanniebonkers

Dec 23, 2018
I feel very frightened about the diagnosis. I have been told that I have got Early Onset Dementia and I fear for my future.
Thankyou
Mary

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Good afternoon and welcome to Talking Point.

I'm so sorry to read about your diagnosis.I'm glad that you've found this forum. I can understand how frightening it must be for you and I'm sure you will find lots of help and support here.

I see that your diagnosis is Early Onset dementia. There is a Society Factsheet called Young Onset Dementia and I wondered if you would find it of any help. Click on this link to have a look at it.

Young Onset Dementia

You also might find it useful to give the Helpline a ring to talk things over with someone. The details are as follows -

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/national-dementia-helpline

The phone number is 0300 222 11 22 and they are open until 8pm tonight.

Please keep posting on the forum.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
I feel very frightened about the diagnosis. I have been told that I have got Early Onset Dementia and I fear for my future.
Thankyou
Mary
Hello Mary
I'm really glad you thought to post here and get this off your chest
I think any diagnosis of something challenging, physical or otherwise, brings with it a whole host of emotional turmoil and makes anyone wonder about what the future may or may not hold

not the same situation at all, but my dad was made redundant at 59 from a company he'd worked for for decades and he was crushed, especially as he felt he'd let my mum down - we went out walking together, as he loved being out and bird watching, and I asked how he was coping - he said 'I put one foot in front of the other and keep going' - he's a pragmatic man, not given to wise saws, but that was one of the wisest things he ever shared with me - there have been troubled times since and I keep his words in mind and do as he told me

so, I guess what I'm saying is, that trite as it seems, one step at a time, one day at a time keeps us going

I hope you have people around you to chat with, definitely keep posting here, there's always someone around