Hygiene

snowtree

Jun 14, 2007
My dad has vascular dementia and as a consequence his level of personal hygiene has dropped considerably.....he also can't smell anything! Anyone got any advice or help on how to get him to wash more frequently, use deodrant etc...thanks :)

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
Tricky one snowtree!i had these concerns and was advised on TP that not having a wash,changing clothes never killed anyone.Bravo to whoever said it.These are the things that worry us.But they are things that needn't worry us.Mum hada kick off when i went round today because dad had said he had changed his vest but hadn't.The clean one was over the dirty one.Hey ho.Does it matter?at least he had put a clean one on!To be honest i have more patience than mum,as i do this every day.I said to dad today,"are you ok?" he said "yes why?" i said you look like you need a b***** good wash and shave>Up the dancers he went and came back clean shaven.It can be a matter of "how" to say it,and don't be afraid of saying it.good luck elainex

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
With my husband in the E.M.I. he has days when he will not let them wash him, shave him, no socks nor slippers walking around bare footed. With a talk with the Staff and Manager, we do not want to force him as he gets so aggitated, blood presure get dangerously high and it normlly leds to another mild stroke.
I have explained to N,.H. if they try saying Christine would not like it if we do not wash nor change clothes, shave etc., It is really wierd because as he is in the latter stages, something registers in his brain. He doesn't even remember marying me 16 years ago but somewhere my name is registering.
e never an tell from to day to the next how they will react. When I give him a kiss and hug and he is unshaven, I say to him are you growing a beard? He nods no, so I say can I shave you and wash you down and he lets me do it.
:ife is so unpredictable and the illness is so b*****y cruel for patient and families.
Best wishes. Christine

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
Dear Christine,you made a point and did a task that carers in a home cannot do withouth permission from the resident.If a resident says "no" then it's "no".If a relative says "yes you are having a wash/shave " then the resident is almost always compliant.Even if the resident says "no" to a relative then they can still do the "task" and hope that carers see it as helping them.I would suggest that if personal hygiene is a problem in a care home for your loved one,try to be there at least once when a carer is assisting them,stand back and reassure them that it's ok for others to help them apart from you,it may help relieve you of the worry.love elainex

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Been there and got the Tee shirt

Dear Elaineo2,
Have tried that one and he has sent the Carer away and let me do it so somewhere I must still be regestering in this tormented illness.I have been trying to work that out and the only thing I can think of is for the 12 years before A.D. (We have been married 16) Peter always said he has everything in his life he has ever wanted and is loved for himself. So when they do have memories going back to their past perhaps that is what he is remembering. It is one of those things we will never understand but if that is what he is remembering - Boy has my family and me had that effect of giving a happy family enviorement . I would love to think so .Take Care. Christine