Husband put into care home

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
no a gp wouldnt do it just to keep them quiet. only if its beneficial for the resident not for the convience of the staff. gp would be struck off if did that and care homes can only administer what the gp tells them to. there are so many mis understandings

pevensey

Feb 14, 2012
South East Coast.
no a gp wouldnt do it just to keep them quiet. only if its beneficial for the resident not for the convience of the staff. gp would be struck off if did that and care homes can only administer what the gp tells them to. there are so many mis understandings
I think years ago they used to do this unfortunately. Was called the medical cosh, many years ago I must add. My mother was treated this way 25 yrs ago but definitly not now. My hubby just refused to come out of his room in his care home and they didn't force him to. But now he's in nursing home he has the odd day when he likes to stay in his room but at least he watches TV which he didn't do before in the other care home, he's mainly in the lounge now in his wheelchair. They use the minimal meds they can. They give him natural things like prune juice if he gets constipated which he often does..

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
When mum moved into her care home she was totally paranoid, convinced that people were stealing from her, that I was abusing her and all sorts, she was also not washing or changing her clothes and was malnourished because she hadnt been eating.

It took several weeks for her to settle, but once she had done so, she thrived. Her delusions went, she was clean and put on some weight, she made friends and joined in the activities (something I never thought she would do). Her old personality, although not her memory, returned. All of this was achieved with absolutely no sedation, anti-depressants, anti-psychotics, or anything. It was purely down to the care home environment and the skill of the carers.

I do not know which home your friend is working in, but it is certainly not representative of the vast majority. It is also not true that care homes cause massive reduction in cognitive ability. Sometimes people move into a care home because their cognition is already rapidly declining and sometimes they move there after an event like a fall, a massive infection, delirium or a stroke and this is what causes their downturn. Also, sometimes if they are moved when they have severe dementia, the move itself can trigger decline. None of this is due to the care home per se and in many cases the care home can offer more stimulation than they were getting in their own home, so that the symptoms improve. Never forget that people with dementia are in decline anyway.

Edit to add that I am replying to @Herecomestrouble

pevensey

Feb 14, 2012
South East Coast.
When mum moved into her care home she was totally paranoid, convinced that people were stealing from her, that I was abusing her and all sorts, she was also not washing or changing her clothes and was malnourished because she hadnt been eating.

It took several weeks for her to settle, but once she had done so, she thrived. Her delusions went, she was clean and put on some weight, she made friends and joined in the activities (something I never thought she would do). Her old personality, although not her memory, returned. All of this was achieved with absolutely no sedation, anti-depressants, anti-psychotics, or anything. It was purely down to the care home environment and the skill of the carers.

I do not know which home your friend is working in, but it is certainly not representative of the vast majority. It is also not true that care homes cause massive reduction in cognitive ability. Sometimes people move into a care home because their cognition is already rapidly declining and sometimes they move there after an event like a fall, a massive infection, delirium or a stroke and this is what causes their downturn. Also, sometimes if they are moved when they have severe dementia, the move itself can trigger decline. None of this is due to the care home per se and in many cases the care home can offer more stimulation than they were getting in their own home, so that the symptoms improve. Never forget that people with dementia are in decline anyway.

Edit to add that I am replying to @Herecomestrouble
That is all. so very true canary, that's exactly what has hapoend with my husband, he's settled and seems happy and theve changed his medication so he takes mimilistic meds JUST what he needs to take. They encourage him to be out from his room, although he can't walk anymore. I'm happy cos he's at last settled

DennyD

Dec 6, 2016
Porthcawl, South Wales
Thank you so much pevensey for sharing your experiences. Both yours and canary's thoughts help me to see the individual issues that can arise and I'll be able to take these as guidance to consider our situation. I find it difficult to make decisions about what is best for him, the enormous responsibility of it, a feeling I'm sure we all experience. You get advice and guidance from many different professionals it gets hard to make sense of it. However, I've learnt to take my time and think very carefully. I find I learn a lot from reading the experiences of other carers and find that these help to inform my own decision making.
My best wishes to you all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cahuskies