husband is 45 and has been told he has early onset alzheimers

dudleygirl

Jul 10, 2010
dudley
my husband is 45 (nearly 46) and he has a number of health issues with the latest being early onset alzheimers. After reading some of the information on this site I know I am not alone with this feeling of loss for our relationship. My husband has been taking Aricept for a few months now and this seems to be helping him as he has not shown any signs of getting any worse with his memory problems.

I have been looking into power of attorny and when he has a DLA renewal form come through at least I'll be able to put a name to what is going on with him now.

I'm having my good and bad days along with my husband. When he is having a bad day, I have to have a good day to look after him.

Can anyone tell me if sleep problems are associated with Alzheimers please. My husband is having problems with sleep but I don't know if its because of his other health issues as well.

I'm just at a loss to know how I should be feeling about all this :confused::(

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Good morning dudleygirl

I'm just at a loss to know how I should be feeling about all this

How else can you feel about this other than devastated. It is bad enough for those of us with older spouses and parents but your husband has been dealt a cruel hand.

I`m glad the Aricept seems to be working. It can mask the syptoms and slow down the progression.

The sleep problems may or may not be dementia related. They may be related to other health issues or they mat=y be related to Aricpet.

The trouble is, we all try to find reasons to explain changes, but so sadly with dementia there are no set reasons and we are all left floundering.

I am so glad you have found Talking Point [TP] and hope the wonderful support you will find on this Forum is a help .

Fenners

May 5, 2010
Essex
Just want you to know that i am thinking of you and your husband - i hope that things settle soon and the Aricept does its job at keeping things steady and at bay.

I just cannot imagine what you are going through, he is so young, the same age as my husband, its bad enough to have an older relative diagnosed (my mum is 74) but to have your husband have it at that age is unthinkable and actually makes my problems seem minor.

Lots and lots of hugs and support to you - TP is a life saver - keep posting.
xxxx

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Dudley Girl,

A warm welcome to Talking Point. I thought you might be interested to read what one of our members, Norrms, has to say about the nightmares he experience(s/d) and the ensuing responses. http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?t=22443

You and your husband are so young and hope you will find Talking Point to be informative, supportive and friendly and I will look forward to seeing you around the site.

Love and best wishes

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Dudley Girl,

Welcome to Talking Point (TP) from me also.

At some point you might want to look into the local services provided by the Alzheimer's Society in Dudley:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/custom_scripts/branch.php?branch=true&branchCode=14322

The Family Support Service looks very good to me:

Family Support Service
Practical and emotional one to one support to carers of people of any age with any form of dementia

I'm glad that you've started to look into the power of attorney issue. You might want to look at the Alzheimer's Society's factsheet on things to consider after a diagnosis:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/factsheet/471

Take care,

seaurchin

Oct 24, 2009
Hello Dudley Girl,

I am so sorry to hear that you may be in a similar situation to myself. You have come to the right place on TP for information and support about this cruel illness.

My husband is now 49 but his symptoms of early onset dementia began at 45. I agree that it is hard to know how to feel as it is so difficult to relate to your changed life partner and I grieve for the life that we once had. I now just try to make the best of things and try to make sure that we, as a family, have the best quality of life that we all can manage. We have both difficult but some good times too :)

My husband did have problems with sleeping at night and after a long period :( of hospital assessment was prescribed a sleeping tablet (Zopiclone) amongst other medications which does seem to be helping during the night at the moment. It means I manage to get some sleep which enables me to still work to pay the mortgage etc and look after our young daughter.

I hope this is useful information for you. I send you my best wishes and hope that you are able to find a solution to your husband's sleeping difficulties.

Love Helen x

Last edited:

Annie 29

Jun 23, 2010
London
Hello Dudleygirl, So sad you are facing the shock of this. If it helps just bear in mind that there are so many of us in a similar situation - it made a difference to me. I don't know what you have done with family and friends but I have found it a big help to talk and be up front about what is happening. One day at a time. Take care!!

Feb 19, 2010
South Wales
Hi Dudleygirl
I am sorry to hear what you are going through.

The feelings will be like a roller coaster but you seem to be doing the right things. I wish I had been as clear thinking as you when my husband was diagnosed. I was in denial and didn't apply for a power of attorney,in fact our solicitor advised not to go down that route and I allowed us to be talked out of it. Big mistake. My husband now doesn't have the capacity so we have to go through the court of protection route and I am having problems dealing with some of his affairs. Also, because of my denial I wasn't as sensitive as you appear to be and didn't realise how much my frame of mind/ mood affected him.

From my experience I would say sort out the practical issues - get as much support as you can - try to find a positive angle (not easy) and look after YOU x

Andy51058

Apr 7, 2010
Stockport
Frame of mind

I think frame of mind is very important. If you go into each day getting more depresed aboutthe situation then I think it transmits to the sufferer creating more blank days in their memory.
Keep in touch with everyone here even if like me you only drop in now and again - it helps me.
Andy

dudleygirl

Jul 10, 2010
dudley
thanks all for your kind words - he was over prescribed zopiclone for sleep problems and became addicted to them so now he's not allowed to take them. He has his good and bad days so I rely on the good days now ;)

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
duleygirl, hi
How are you? It does sound like you've been through the mill a bit recently. Please take care of yourself and keep posting, we care.
Kind regards, Jo

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Hi Dudley girl

Just to say hi and a warm welcome. Take care of yourself.

Sorry you have had to come here and all best wishes to you and your hubby xx

Sundance

Aug 31, 2010
Neath, Glamorgan
Hi Dudleygirl

So sorry to hear your sad news about your husband, it's pretty devastating for anyone and their families to be diagnosed with any dementia at any age, but it seems so unfair when it's done at such an early age.

You mentioned your husband is having sleeping problems, I can sympathise there as I too am having problems sleeping I am up nearly every morning at ridiculous times ranging from 3.30am to 5.00am. I have not figured out why yet either.

Sending you both (((hugs))) and keeping you in my thoughts, take care and I know it’s easier said than done but try and keep positive.

Tina :) x