How to register Lasting Power of Attorney with DWP

Mandz

May 30, 2022
Hi there
After lots of 'Googling' and searching, I finally found out how to register a Lasting Power of Attorney with the DWP, using the new online Government 'View an LPA' system. To help others who may also be frustrated I wanted to share how I managed it and hope this helps. You can generate a code and then send that by email to organisations, but to find the right email for DWP was proving hard, hence a phone call to them:
  • Called DWP on 0800 731 0469 - press the option for 'Change in circumstances'
  • Gave my Aunt's NI number and full name
  • I then logged into the Governement LPA online system and generated the code (can only use for newer LPA since 2020)
  • use-lasting-power-of-attorney.service.gov.uk/login
  • Gave code to DWP
  • They were able to view the LPA document immediately and register my details
  • Was asked for my NI number to verify my ID (they can already view name, address etc on the LPA document online)
  • DWP then send a letter to me to confirm the call and all future pension related letters are forwarded to me
  • So much quicker than sending a certified paper copy by post - just wish all banks would use this system!
Hope this helps.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Anybody with an older LPA unable to use the 'view an LPA' system wanting a certified copy for DWP can go to a Jobcentre Plus and get them to make and certify a copy.

Ask them the address to send it to, if very lucky they may send it via the internal system if you ask nicely.

NicolaAdams

Oct 12, 2022
For older LPAs send the certified copy to
Pension Service 12
Post Handling Site B
Wolverhampton
WV99 1AP

You must include a covering letter with their NI number, the address of a care home if appropriate, and also include your NI number.

ClaireeW

Sep 22, 2021
Hi there
After lots of 'Googling' and searching, I finally found out how to register a Lasting Power of Attorney with the DWP, using the new online Government 'View an LPA' system. To help others who may also be frustrated I wanted to share how I managed it and hope this helps. You can generate a code and then send that by email to organisations, but to find the right email for DWP was proving hard, hence a phone call to them:
  • I then logged into the Governement LPA online system and generated the code (can only use for newer LPA since 2020)
  • Gave code to DWP
  • Was asked for my NI number to verify my ID (they can already view name, address etc on the LPA document online)
  • DWP then send a letter to me to confirm the call and all future pension related letters are forwarded to me
  • So much quicker than sending a certified paper copy by post - just wish all banks would use this system!
Hope this helps.
@Mandz , thank you, so helpful.

SolarBod

Jul 23, 2022
Anybody with an older LPA unable to use the 'view an LPA' system wanting a certified copy for DWP can go to a Jobcentre Plus and get them to make and certify a copy.

Ask them the address to send it to, if very lucky they may send it via the internal system if you ask nicely.
My Mum's LPA was set up in 2014 so I can't use the online 'view an LPA' system. Thanks for this great advice about Jobcentre Plus. Did you need to make an appointment?

SolarBod

Jul 23, 2022
For older LPAs send the certified copy to
Pension Service 12
Post Handling Site B
Wolverhampton
WV99 1AP

You must include a covering letter with their NI number, the address of a care home if appropriate, and also include your NI number.
Thanks for the advice

lbdconcern

Nov 10, 2022
Hi there
  • Gave code to DWP
Hope this helps.
I found this only worked for pensions support. Despite trying hard I haven't found a number to contact to register my LPA for someone on benefit. Any suggestions? With postal strikes etc I really don't want to post my only copy, and I can't get any advice on whether my local jobcentre can help.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @lbdconcern and welcome to Dementia Talking Point. My experience of using LPA for any official business is a few years old so I am unable to answer your question. I hope some of our other members may be able to. I would say that it would be inadvisable to post your only copy, especially if it is the officially stamped version.

Last edited by a moderator:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
@lbdconcern
Don't post the original.

Unless things have changed your local Jobcentre Plus will make and certify a copy which is accepted across all DWP sections.
They also be able to tell you the correct address to send the copy with a covering letter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy54

Sep 24, 2020
It's always worth getting a couple of certified copies done which you can send out to organisations if needed. Prices vary enormously but after phoning a few local solicitors firms I found one that only charged £5 per copy.

topsound54

Apr 6, 2023

I have just visited the Tonbridge job centre and they do not make a certified copy. They have no scanner. Also they have no idea of where to send an uncertified copy! They would require a team reference number if they did send it via the internal courier service. I was asked by the DWP on the phone to arrange for the job centre to scan and send a copy of the LPA! Total incompetence!

try again

Jun 21, 2018
I had to send a copy to DWP for reapplying for attendance allowance, despite the fact I had already sent one for pension credits. Different apartment apparently 😡

Tricia70

Jun 30, 2023
Hi there
  • Gave code to DWP
Hope this helps.
That’s really helpful. I have just got the unique key and set it up so fingers crossed it will make it easier than having to copy the LPA and sending it to the relevant people.

Jpows

Feb 20, 2024
Hi there
  • Gave code to DWP
Hope this helps.
Hi there
  • Gave code to DWP
Hope this helps.
@Mandz thanks so much for posting this, very helpful

ianc2002

Oct 19, 2023
Hi there
  • Gave code to DWP
Hope this helps.
This is a great piece of advice.

For those in Scotland it is a little different.

My wife's Alzheimer's got to the point where the PoA needed to be validated, or whatever the term is when the person with the PoA no longer has capacity to act for themselves. We got both the bank and the doc to do that, both provided with copies of the PoA

I phoned, spoke to one person at DWP, who was just wrong, they suggested we would need a visit from an assessor. I asked if they thought that our GP who validated it was wrong, no, you need an assessor to visit.
Three weeks later, nothing.

Fourth week got a call from the chap from the Job Centre arranging to come out, I told him what was said to me. You could hear the sharp intake of breath, "no, you just need to send us a copy"
Contacted DWP again, spoke to a very knowledgeable lady, who apologies when I tell her what her colleague said.

She gave me an email address to send a copy, or was it a drop box, can't remember. Got a phone call from their solicitor to send the page again that had the signatures, all's good, I'm now my wife's appointee, spokesperson, whatever their term.
I now get all her correspondence in my name, referring to me as her proxy, effectively and job done.

The problem with Scotland seems to be that the PoA registration number doesn't collate with what they need.