How to prevent dementia?

DaveyFrom75

Apr 12, 2024
As I haven't seen this thread (apologies if it exists) I thought I'd share some of the information I've been collecting over the last few months.
I'd started researching to understand preventative measures, while there are some hereditary genetics involved (apoe4) it would seem that the signs are saying it's now being considered as type 3 diabetes (insulin resistance in the brain).
I've taken a great deal of useful information from this podcast
Please google this, I'm not yet allowed to post links: Andrew Huberman and Dr Chris Palmer

Dr Chris Palmer has written an excellent book. Brain Energy that delves into metabolism and how it affects the human brain.
I can also recommend this podcast Google this: Peter Attia talks to Rhonda Patrick, more specifically on Alzheimer's

Again, Peter Attia's book Outlive is also very useful.
I'm determined to do everything in my control to protect myself from going down this path, if some of this information can and does help one other person - then I'll consider that a big win.

Collywobbles

Feb 27, 2018
It’s certainly a theory which has been in circulation for a few years now, and research/discussion articles can be found in reputable sources such as The Lancet. The US Alzheimer's Association posted this article last year, describing a possible link between diabetes and dementia:

It seems to me that the common sense measures suggested to keep blood sugar levels and other risks to the minimum, would be helpful in warding off many health issues. Whether doing so would be an effective preventative for dementia, has yet to be established.

Suzysheep01

Jan 14, 2023
My mother is type one diabetic. Her 2 sisters are also type one. They are in their 70s and all have dementia.
interestingly my mum is the older of the three, and the first to develop diabetes in her mid 20s, but she was the last one to start showing symptoms. Both her younger sisters are much further along. The sister furthest alongs Diabetes was completely controlled by her husband. He cooked and portioned out her food and kept her at the “ perfect” blood sugar levels for their whole marriage.
my mum managed hers really well ( and my late sister who became diabetic at 2) and dementia has still caught up with her.
definitely a correlation between the two.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
A recent study by Monash University showed that people who live in low crime areas and have ready access to green spaces such as parks, have a reduced risk of developing dementia. The most important bit was that the closer the green spaces, the lower the risk.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
It is certainly starting to look like 'lifestyle' is a strong factor, whether that be a healthy diet and weight control, exercise, social contacts, fresh air (as Lawson says!) and a whole host of other, more complex things. All these can affect the likelihood of getting dementia.

And it seems that all the 'sensible advice' on such things is better for your overall health and may indeed give you a few more years of life.

However, this is a mixed blessing as the biggest risk factor for getting dementia is still... being very old.