How to get a medically fit dementia patient out of hospital

gardener2

Jul 25, 2022
Any suggestions please? My husband is now medically fit after a urine infection wiped him out. He is struggling to stand up on his own (when he is up he is strong and can walk unaided -amazing since he has been lying in bed for a week. There seems to be no effort to get him out of the hospital. My next step is to co-ordinate with the hospital physio but is there anyone else that might be able to help as he is at risk of deteriorating. Thank you

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m glad that your husband is medically fit now but understand that you will still be facing problems.

There should be an assessment of his needs before he is discharged from hospital. Perhaps this factsheet will be useful -

It might also be helpful for you to talk to someone from PALS. I’ve no experience of this as I don’t believe we have this support system in Scotland but I’ve seem people post positive things about them on the forum -

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
If there are concerns about his mobility then the people who have the final say on his discharge are the physios and OTs. They may want to assess your home for things like chair and bed risers, grab rails etc before he comes home.

I do hope you mange to contact the physio soon.
xx