How long can this last?

Gem101

Feb 7, 2015
My aunt is now on her 5th day of no fluids as she has become unable to swallow.
Although she is sleeping a lot she keeps opening her eyes although there is no focus behind them.
I keep questioning how long she can last, and I want this over for her.
She went through a few weeks of declining food and fluid intake, then perked up for a day or two and then declined again to minimal fluid intake and now this.
It's heartbreaking watching this happen and I hope she isn't still in there somewhere trapped in this hell.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))))) @Gem101

This is a hard time when you feel you are living in limbo. Time seems to stand still and the world narrows right down. This stage can go on a surprisingly long time - people with dementia seem to cling to life. My mum went 17 days with no food or fluid, but it is not usually that long. You will know when you are getting to the end as the breathing will change, there will be gaps between the breaths.

She will still be able to hear at this stage, so now is the time to say the important things - I love you, Im sorry, thank you and (if appropriate) I forgive you. Tell her it is OK to go. Play her favourite music, read to her, hold her hand

You should be able to get little sponges or brushes on a stick that can be used to keep her mouth moist. Put salve on her lips and moisturiser on her dry skin.

Look after yourself too - make sure you eat and sleep
xx

Vegpatch

Nov 3, 2016
Gem101...so sorry to hear this. We are in a similar situation with my dad. Hoping the struggle will be over soon...but know it could take some time.
It feels very much like a limbo state...but as canary says, we're concentrating on spending time with him, holding his hand, moistening his lips, talking & listening to classic fm (his absolute favourite station).
It's so hard....huge hugs to you at this tough time xxx

YorkshireLass

Feb 15, 2017
Ilkley
It's so hard to sit and watch but as others have said being there talking and comforting in any way you can is the best way forward. Sending a hug xxxx

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch