How long can mum survive with no fluids

AW1938

Feb 11, 2017
My mum has end stage alzheimers. She was started on syringe driver last monday due to head pain. She has not eaten anything since then or had fluids, apart from mouth care. I have read that she would only last approx 3 days. This is day 6 I have been here with her expecting her to go! Mum is barely conscious but breathing still quite stable. as anyone any advice?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))))) @AW1938
You are into the last long vigil.

People with dementia can go on a surprisingly long time with no food or fluid - the body seems to hang on to life tenaciously. My mum lasted 17 days with no food or fluid, but I gather that most people do not last that long. The 3 days without fluid is, I believe, what a healthy person can last, but in dementia the body is shutting down slowly and it does not need fluid, so it can go longer.

Hang on in there - there will be an end to this twilight zone.

AW1938

Feb 11, 2017
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))))) @AW1938
You are into the last long vigil.

People with dementia can go on a surprisingly long time with no food or fluid - the body seems to hang on to life tenaciously. My mum lasted 17 days with no food or fluid, but I gather that most people do not last that long. The 3 days without fluid is, I believe, what a healthy person can last, but in dementia the body is shutting down slowly and it does not need fluid, so it can go longer.

Hang on in there - there will be an end to this twilight zone.
17 days! Oh my goodness!

AW1938

Feb 11, 2017
I gather that this is quite extreme - even for dementia, so your mum is not likely to go that long, but it can go on much longer than you would expect.
Thanks. Also her pad has been dry most of the week, the carer has just changed her and said her pad was falloff urine?? I am pretty sure nobody has been giving her drinks so how can this be?

elvismad

Jan 8, 2012
My mum passed on 24th July -6 days after refusing food and drink. These were the longest days of my life. The primary case of death was listed as frailty??? Secondary cause dementia. I wanted to cry.
I wish you strength and send you hugs

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I'm sorry to read about your situation, and I appreciate it can be very difficult knowing what to do in these circumstances. I just wish there were hospices for pwd as well as cancer. Eating and drinking in the final days of life can be very difficult to come to terms with as the person we have cared for so much is on their final journey. I found a link that I hope is simple enough for some guidance:

https://www.nhsinform.scot/care-sup...d-bereavement/body-changes-at-the-end-of-life

MomandDadmissyou

Aug 11, 2019
Hi AW1938
My heart goes out to you. I lost my mom to Alzheimer’s and she passed away in inpatient hospice after being there 14 days without food or water. She had given up, she had some comfort liquids to wet her mouth like tooth eyes and scoop sherbert.
I’m a ICU nurse so it was so difficult to see my mom suffer and I couldn’t fix her. When people are actively dying they don’t digest the foods they eat and the oral fluid sometimes stays in their throat. This was rough to see her not recieve nutrients. But the past 2 weeks with mom were the best I have had in a long time. She was still confused, lucid at times, but we held hands, I played her favorite religious songs, we joked. We cried. Being an only child I kept telling her it’s okay to go see my dad in heaven. He had his purple shirt on waiting go her. The hospice nurses were great. I read books on hospice and watching your loved ones die.
Those 2 weeks I would relive as they made me feel such a part of what my mom went through.
Sunday night when she passed I made a photo album from app online as I had takes pictures of us holding hands, her beautiful blue eyes, her beautiful dress I choose for her to wear in the casket. I look at this book everyday and though I cry, it brings me closer to her and I relive those wonderful days as my friend a hospice nurse explained to me. The death process of my mom is the same as when she was giving birth except it’s the ending. It gave a whole new meaning to what death was to me. Being a nurse for 37 years I learned about life these 2 weeks. It was
The most breathtaking journey despite its sadness I was ever on.
I
Loved my mom and dad so
Much hang in there. Cherish every second with her right now, even if u are simply watching her breath. Play some music, hearing stays til
The end.❤️

AW1938

Feb 11, 2017
Hi AW1938
My heart goes out to you. I lost my mom to Alzheimer’s and she passed away in inpatient hospice after being there 14 days without food or water. She had given up, she had some comfort liquids to wet her mouth like tooth eyes and scoop sherbert.
I’m a ICU nurse so it was so difficult to see my mom suffer and I couldn’t fix her. When people are actively dying they don’t digest the foods they eat and the oral fluid sometimes stays in their throat. This was rough to see her not recieve nutrients. But the past 2 weeks with mom were the best I have had in a long time. She was still confused, lucid at times, but we held hands, I played her favorite religious songs, we joked. We cried. Being an only child I kept telling her it’s okay to go see my dad in heaven. He had his purple shirt on waiting go her. The hospice nurses were great. I read books on hospice and watching your loved ones die.
Those 2 weeks I would relive as they made me feel such a part of what my mom went through.
Sunday night when she passed I made a photo album from app online as I had takes pictures of us holding hands, her beautiful blue eyes, her beautiful dress I choose for her to wear in the casket. I look at this book everyday and though I cry, it brings me closer to her and I relive those wonderful days as my friend a hospice nurse explained to me. The death process of my mom is the same as when she was giving birth except it’s the ending. It gave a whole new meaning to what death was to me. Being a nurse for 37 years I learned about life these 2 weeks. It was
I
Loved my mom and dad so
Much hang in there. Cherish every second with her right now, even if u are simply watching her breath. Play some music, hearing stays til
The end.❤️
Thank you so much for replying

AW1938

Feb 11, 2017
I'm sorry to read about your situation, and I appreciate it can be very difficult knowing what to do in these circumstances. I just wish there were hospices for pwd as well as cancer. Eating and drinking in the final days of life can be very difficult to come to terms with as the person we have cared for so much is on their final journey. I found a link that I hope is simple enough for some guidance:

https://www.nhsinform.scot/care-sup...d-bereavement/body-changes-at-the-end-of-life
Thank you

AW1938

Feb 11, 2017
My mum passed on 24th July -6 days after refusing food and drink. These were the longest days of my life. The primary case of death was listed as frailty??? Secondary cause dementia. I wanted to cry.
I wish you strength and send you hugs
Thank you

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Hi AW1938
I
Loved my mom and dad so
The end.❤️

Welcome to DTP @MomandDadmissyou. I’m sorry to read about your Mum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathyann