How long at this stage?

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
Mum was diagnosed with Alzheimers 2013, but symptoms for the previous 2 yrs.
Mum has been in care just over 3 yrs.
End of last year she gradually lost ability to walk & talk, incoherent apart from odd 2 or 3 words) doubly incontinent, can no longer feed herself or hold a cup. Rapidly losing weight. Doesn’t appear to recognise us, but in saying that she did say my name a month back.
Cannot turn in bed, and only has a limited range of movement.
Sleeping pretty much 23 hrs a day or awake but eyes shut.

January this year after a chest infection, problems swallowing she was moved from Dementia Care to Hospital Care ( I’m not from the UK)
After this we honestly thought Mums time was near.
But here we are 9 mnths later.

Unless of course a medical event, infection, swallowing issue/ refusal of food, how long can someone last at this stage?

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
It is so difficult to say. My mother had been in a wheelchair and doubly incontinent for about 9 years. Her diet had gradually changed so that the last year it was pureed food and very thick fluids. But she was in good health other than her AD. I really expected her to go on for another couple of years. Yet she developed a fever and died 9 days later. It was a horrible shock, as she was still eating up until she developed the fever.

I realize this is no help at all, I'm sorry.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Its almost impossible to say, Lin.
Mum got pneumonia and I was told that she would not survive, but she did. Then she had a stroke and they thought she wouldnt survive that, but she did. Then she stopped eating and I was told I was probably looking at the end, but she started eating again. Eventually she broke her hip, had surgery, but never recovered. She passed away 14 months after she went down with pneumonia and that last year was a terrible roller coaster. She seemed to cling onto life beyond anything I expected.

Im sorry, thats probably not much help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grandaughtercare