How DO we get through LOCKDOWN3?

MartinWL

This lockdown is so much worse than before. My husband wants to be outside all the time - normally we go out for numerous short walks - up to six times a day but of course we can’t do that now & he just doesn’t understand why. Last time at least we could sit outside but it’s far too cold for that now. Walking is a way of keeping him calm. I delayed our walk until midday & he has spent the whole day raging & hitting out. There is nothing else that distracts him - he can’t read, speak, follow TV programs or do anything really. How are we going to get through this? I can’t physically disengage as he follows me everywhere & it’s hard to mentally disengage from someone who is raging all the time. If I stand back he wouldn’t eat or drink. I’m just praying that he will adjust.
Whatever the (merely advisory) guidance may say, the regulations say you can go out for exercise and there is no limit in those regulations on how often or how far you can walk. Catching the virus outdoors is extremely unlikely and you have every reason to make your own judgement on this within the law.

marionq

@Dimpsy your grief and despair or whatever your feelings are will be just as important as anyone else. While counting our blessings and being positive is a good way to live I think we also need to acknowledge when we are being tested to our limits.

At times when looking after my much loved husband I couldn’t see a way ahead and truly felt despair. Of course others were in a worse situation for all kinds of reasons but at any given moment my despair was mine alone to deal with.

The best advice given to me? This too will pass. And it did.

Shedrech

He’ll happily wear a mask. If he doesn’t adjust in the next day or two then I will do that. It is hard for PWD to make sense of it all. Hard enough for us!!
just noticed this on the Gov site .... so your husband's need for walking is acceptable:

If you (or a person in your care) have a health condition that routinely requires you to leave home to maintain your health - including if that involves travel beyond your local area or exercising several times a day - then you can do so.

Littlebear

That’s brilliant! It’s good to know if we are ever questioned or a neighbour raises a concern/objection. Thank you so much.

MartinWL

You don't need to have a health condition to exercise many times per day. We are governed by laws, not guidance. The law is that you can leave home for exercise and the regulations place no limits on it whatsoever.