House insurance

Woody54321

Feb 19, 2024
Dad was my mums carer she has late stage dementia, sadly he had an accident in the house and passed away end of October. I got mum into a home and am currently applying to the court to handle her affairs. The house was jointly owned but the insurance was in dads name, it’s about to end and company will not provide mum with insurance as she can’t sign the form, anyone found a solution to this scenario as have tried lots of companies and no luck.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dad was my mums carer she has late stage dementia, sadly he had an accident in the house and passed away end of October. I got mum into a home and am currently applying to the court to handle her affairs. The house was jointly owned but the insurance was in dads name, it’s about to end and company will not provide mum with insurance as she can’t sign the form, anyone found a solution to this scenario as have tried lots of companies and no luck.
I think you should Google insuring and empty house but anyway I am going to ask a nice moderator to move you to the Legal and Financial section for more. I am so sorry to hear about your parents and your poor dad.

Hugs

MaNaAk

Woody54321

Feb 19, 2024
I think you should Google insuring and empty house but anyway I am going to ask a nice moderator to move you to the Legal and Financial section for more. I am so sorry to hear about your parents and your poor dad.

Hugs

MaNaAk
Thank you, all been a shock but have to keep going seem to be hitting brick walls everywhere and have been told courts take some time

SkyeD

Oct 3, 2022
Hi @Woody54321

Sorry to hear about your parents. I've gone through similar (dad died in Sept 22, mum (PWD) went into hospital then care home in Nov 22). Their insurance was in dad's name, which I was able to cancel with a phone call.

I Googled 'unoccupied building insurance', rang one company and explained everything. They insured the house without problem - I was classed as a named person acting on behalf of my mother who lacked capacity. It wasn't as difficult as I expected. (Surprisingly the cost was less than they were paying). My mum sadly died in June 23 - their house sale completed last week, and I'm currently waiting for a pro-rata refund of the insurance).

Hope you manage to sort it out :)
S x

Woody54321

Feb 19, 2024
Hi @Woody54321

Sorry to hear about your parents. I've gone through similar (dad died in Sept 22, mum (PWD) went into hospital then care home in Nov 22). Their insurance was in dad's name, which I was able to cancel with a phone call.

I Googled 'unoccupied building insurance', rang one company and explained everything. They insured the house without problem - I was classed as a named person acting on behalf of my mother who lacked capacity. It wasn't as difficult as I expected. (Surprisingly the cost was less than they were paying). My mum sadly died in June 23 - their house sale completed last week, and I'm currently waiting for a pro-rata refund of the insurance).

Hope you manage to sort it out :)
S x
Thank you, will have a go, first piece of positive info I have had in a while. 😀

Melles Belles

Jul 4, 2017
South east
You could look online for unoccupied property insurance. I did that in an emergency situation but it was v expensive. Dad died 2 days before the renewal date. First policy was for 3 months. Then I used a broker who came up with a cheaper policy which I took for 6 months until the house was sold. I used Adrian Flux but there will be other brokers who could help you with this.

SkyeD

Oct 3, 2022
I also used A Flux and paid for 12 months because by doing that you can get a pro-rata refund if the insurance has to be cancelled during the year. (Apparently you can get 3 month or 6 month policies but they wouldn't have the refund facility). Like @Melles Belles has said, they came up with a policy that was cheaper than others, plus it was cheaper than the "normal" one that my dad was paying for an occupied house. (My dad never shopped around, bless him.)

Woody54321

Feb 19, 2024
You could look online for unoccupied property insurance. I did that in an emergency situation but it was v expensive. Dad died 2 days before the renewal date. First policy was for 3 months. Then I used a broker who came up with a cheaper policy which I took for 6 months until the house was sold. I used Adrian Flux but there will be other brokers who could help you with this.
So thankful for info am checking companies out now and interestingly the current company has now decided to look further, fingers crossed