House Insurance

ellejay2

Dec 9, 2022
Hi there

I’m hoping someone may be able to help with a situation I’m facing just now.

My mum has recently moved in to a care home and her partner (not married, but been together about 20 years) is apprehensive about having to pay all the household bills himself.

I complete understand this apprehension, I’d be the same if I knew I imminently would have to pay for a household myself that had previously been split between two people.

He’s said he thinks my mum should continue to contribute to the house insurance, as the house will still be in her name.

My initial gut reaction is to say no, as she doesn’t live there anymore and practically all of her pensions will be taken to be used to pay towards her care (I believe she’s left with a small amount for hair cuts etc) and he will have more spare income than her. But I see his point, in that she’ll still legally own the home.

Has anyone else got experience in this? Any guidance or thoughts at all would be really appreciated.

Thanks

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
(I believe she’s left with a small amount for hair cuts etc)
This is the PEA (personal expenses allowance)
It can be increased to cover costs resulting from her ownership of the house.

Annexe C, Sec 46 of the Care Act 2014 Statutory Guidance

46) There may be some circumstances where it would not be appropriate for the local authority to leave a person only with the personal expenses allowance after charges. For example:
''''
''''
d) Where a person’s property has been disregarded the local authority should consider whether the PEA is sufficient to enable the person to meet any resultant costs. For example, allowances should be made for fixed payments (like mortgages, rent and Council Tax), building insurance, utility costs (gas, electricity and water, including basic heating during the winter) and reasonable property maintenance costs.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ce/care-and-support-statutory-guidance#AnnexC .

Last edited:

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
If the insurance is paid by mum (or the POA) then you know it has been done.
You need to inform the insurance company of the change of circumstances.

Bod.