Hospital

cake4tea

Jan 22, 2014
Our mom is in hospital having undergone major bowel surgery. Weare trying to get a her a single room where we can then get a day bed put in to enable us to stay with her. The ward is full but we wondered if anyone else had this experience. The staff are good but they are so short staffed and don't seem to realise that dementia patients can't press the buzzer for assistance.

We are worried that something may happen in the night as she has a bad chest infection at the moment and would be unable to get assistance quick enough. Or anything else may happen.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Such a stressful time for you Cake4tea. When my OH was in hospital for a few weeks about 5 years ago I found the Ward Sister to be fairly helpful in resolving problems. The carers support centre also had a carers representative on site to help. AgeUK may be able to point you to some help and advocacy if that is not available at your local hospital.
You may also have done everything on this advice document, but I'll post it in case it helps. https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/help-dementia-care/going-into-hospital

Best of luck in getting some extra care for your mum and I hope she recovers soon.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I stayed in hospital with dad twice..10 days the first... 7 days the second ..there were no side rooms available either time and I understood the patients occupying had the greater need. It wasn't ideal but I set up camp on the chair beside the bed and at night had another chair to put my legs up. However...have to spoken to the senior or staff nurse?