Hospital visit

aeb11

Dec 1, 2017
My father who has had vascular dementia now for around 6 years , he was admitted to hospital on 23rd December for a fall , he as had a few lately, so he is still in and is deteriorating, he got pneumonia then covid the pneumonia again , he as lost a stone now they think he as stomach cancer ( a mass ) they won’t do a biopsy they said it’s to much stress and he’s weak and wouldn’t of gave chemo anyway, I just want to visit and my mom ,her husband of 67yrs , they keep refusing I’ve tried Pals and still no luck , I just don’t know where else to turn I’ve begged the ward staff , the doctor and still it’s a no , i just don’t no where else to turn . We are absolutely broken we have not seen him for a month,

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
My father who has had vascular dementia now for around 6 years , he was admitted to hospital on 23rd December for a fall , he as had a few lately, so he is still in and is deteriorating, he got pneumonia then covid the pneumonia again , he as lost a stone now they think he as stomach cancer ( a mass ) they won’t do a biopsy they said it’s to much stress and he’s weak and wouldn’t of gave chemo anyway, I just want to visit and my mom ,her husband of 67yrs , they keep refusing I’ve tried Pals and still no luck , I just don’t know where else to turn I’ve begged the ward staff , the doctor and still it’s a no , i just don’t no where else to turn . We are absolutely broken we have not seen him for a month,
I am not sure which hospital your father is in, but people with dementia are allowed visiting and this is clear in the guidance, not only that given the circumstances and the clear need to be with your dad I would contact the Chief Excecutive Officer directly either by letter or email and explain the situation. I have had to write to a Chief Exec before on my mums behalf, so be polite but make your point and clarify that visiting is not completely prohibited in anyone with specific needs such as LD and dementia and secondly tha despite PALS (who work for the Trust essentially) they have not recognised that there is a need to permit visiting. I would contact the Chief Exec Secretary and ask for an email address to send your response to on the understanding it will be seen. Its not right that we have to go through this, but alas sometimes we do have to put our foot down.

P.s. always take names of people you deal with and date/time

Last edited:

aeb11

Dec 1, 2017
Thankyou for your reply , I will try and find an email address for the chief Exc , where he is in the I have stated to them what’s on the nhs website about a visit , but there answers always is it’s because of covid and because my dad is not in a room on his own

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Thankyou for your reply , I will try and find an email address for the chief Exc , where he is in I have stated to them what’s on the nhs website about a visit , but there answers always is it’s because of covid and because my dad is not in a room on his own
Not being in a room on his own says a lot about the acute care of people with dementia instantly the other contentious issue is that even though he is on an open ward he is entitled to care visits given his condition. I think you are going to have to raise this issue at a higher level than PALS, I know I would without any reservation. Please let us know for the sake others how you get on...I would press this now as there is alsways a Chief Exec on Call over the weekend....good luck and tell us what happened

aeb11

Dec 1, 2017
Thankyou , I have found a phone number for Chief Exec I will call him tomorrow morning,

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Sorry, @aeb11. It is so hard to have a loved one with dementia in hospital at the best of times, so I feel your pain and worry. I really hope your dad will get through this and you and your mum have the strength to keep going.

On the practical side https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ection-prevention-and-control-recommendations states

7. Visitors​

Visits from patient’s relatives and/or carers (formal/informal) should be encouraged and supported. If visitors are attending a care area with infectious patients, they should be made aware of any infection risks and offered appropriate PPE. This would routinely be an FRSM. Gloves and aprons are not routinely required unless providing direct patient care. Visitors should also be instructed on effective hand hygiene.

Visitors should not be present during AGPs on infectious patients unless they are considered essential following a risk assessment, for example carer/parent/guardian.

It may be considered appropriate to restrict visiting because of outbreaks of respiratory infection in health and care settings. This is a local outbreak management team decision.

Visitors with respiratory symptoms should not be permitted to enter a care area. However, if the visit is considered essential for compassionate (end of life) or other care reasons (for example parent/child) a risk assessment should be undertaken, and mitigations put in place to support visiting wherever possible.

Refer to country-specific guidance.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Sorry, @aeb11. It is so hard to have a loved one with dementia in hospital at the best of times, so I feel your pain and worry. I really hope your dad will get through this and you and your mum have the strength to keep going.

On the practical side https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ection-prevention-and-control-recommendations states

7. Visitors​

Visits from patient’s relatives and/or carers (formal/informal) should be encouraged and supported. If visitors are attending a care area with infectious patients, they should be made aware of any infection risks and offered appropriate PPE. This would routinely be an FRSM. Gloves and aprons are not routinely required unless providing direct patient care. Visitors should also be instructed on effective hand hygiene.

Visitors should not be present during AGPs on infectious patients unless they are considered essential following a risk assessment, for example carer/parent/guardian.

It may be considered appropriate to restrict visiting because of outbreaks of respiratory infection in health and care settings. This is a local outbreak management team decision.

Visitors with respiratory symptoms should not be permitted to enter a care area. However, if the visit is considered essential for compassionate (end of life) or other care reasons (for example parent/child) a risk assessment should be undertaken, and mitigations put in place to support visiting wherever possible.

Refer to country-specific guidance.
I don't think this advice would inhibit a visit as a covid pneumonia is stated which at this stage is not considered infectious, however the general decline is concerning and I am sure that warrants more consideration than what can be done medically at this stage for a seroius but uninfectious case of covid pneumonia

Peony21

Dec 27, 2021
You could also see if the hospital has a care of the elderly department or contact any staff who have worked with him previously in relation to his dementia or mental health. They should be able to see him on the ward and advise the ward team of his needs for contact. I'm very sorry to hear you're having such a terrible time and send warmest wishes.

aeb11

Dec 1, 2017
Update
Thankyou all for your reply’s, at last I had a visit today, and my mom can tomorrow, Pals sent an email to ward and seemed to work,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bcaputo5