HMRC scam emails

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
Hi Nitram,

Are we allowed to open the link you posted? Or is this what we mustn't open!!!!?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Open it.
It's a link to HMRC warning of scams and giving examples, this is what you get:-

Attachments

• ScreenShot007.jpg
    ScreenShot007.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 460

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
Ah. Now I understand. Thanks Nitram. I might have been tempted if it began with the words 'rebate'/'refund'

cobden28

Jan 31, 2012
Scam e-mails like this always begin with something along the lines of 'Dear Valued Customer', which is a sure sign of a scammer! Any genuine sender will always begin their message by addressing their message to you with your name, so anything like this that's not addressed to me by name is always deleted and never opened.

Perhaps others should follow this advice.

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Best forum I could find, mods move if incorrect

There are currently several scam emails/SMS etc purporting to come from HMRC, do NOT open ANY attached zip files from ANYTHING claiming to originate from HMRC

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/security/examples.htm

Thank you very much for this Thread Nitram as earlier on today ( before coming onto T P ) I opened a Scam :eek::( E Mail & even worse :( down loaded a Zip Fire Wall ! However thanks to my Fire Wall plus extra Inbox security :) I have been well & truly protected ! :) My fire wall called it a Trojan Horse Generic >>> Am bit :confused: as to what that means other than its not good & very BAD ! :( Just so glad have all my fire walls & its done its Job ! ( 1 & only time I have needed it ! )

Many thanks once again ( & before you tell me off I did start to think it was a bit dodgy ( after the event ) as have never passed my E mail onto HMRC ! ........ only reason I opened E mail was because am having to sort a problem out with H M R C ( but that was Via Post )

Grove x

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Your firewall/av has detected and quarantined a trojan horse, an application that takes over some of the functioning of your PC, maybe sending personal/financial details to A N Other. Try to be a bit more careful in future!!!

cobden28

Jan 31, 2012
....and when the scammers mention GBP as the currency. The genuine Inland Revenue would surely not refer to our currency in the same manner as would a foreigner!

Austinsmum

Oct 7, 2012
Melton Mowbray
Further to this, I've also recently received quite a few scam emails from Banks and Parcel Companies purporting to have information regarding bank transfers or packages in an email attachment.
Do not open the attachment! :eek:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"...and when the scammers mention GBP as the currency..."

This is becoming common because of the various character encodings being used on non PC systems.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"...Ooooh, was on to this before you can say jackrobinson. And then it said not suitable for mac's..."

On-line mode???
No experience DYOR

Austinsmum

Oct 7, 2012
Melton Mowbray
"...Ooooh, was on to this before you can say jackrobinson. And then it said not suitable for mac's..."

On-line mode???
No experience DYOR
No, me neither. I only have a mac because my daughter (rocket scientist from Cambridge) won't let me have any other. Every time I have a query I email her and she sorts it out. I'm such a loser! :p

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Your firewall/av has detected and quarantined a trojan horse, an application that takes over some of the functioning of your PC, maybe sending personal/financial details to A N Other. Try to be a bit more careful in future!!!

I am all ways careful Nitram ! ! about giving OUT any of my personal details ! Plus I went to a very good talk from my County Crime Prevention Police Man :) on every thing under the Sun ! Scam Phone Calls etc , etc , etc My view is that how ever careful you are these nasty things happen :eek::( sadly ! Its like having your Home done up like Fort Knox ! If the burglars want to break in they will do ! ! ! Guess it was just a shame had not read your post before checking my E Mails ! But that 's life ! & I WON to stop the Virus spreading ! :) & the scammer 's LOST ! ! Plus 1 last point I have my E Mail for about 5 years approx & this is my first serious threat ! So not bad going knowing how many Scams do the rounds ! !

Grove x

Last edited:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"... I have my E Mail for about 5 years approx & this is my first serious threat..."

....that has been detected!!!