Hi This is FIFO...

FIFO

Feb 4, 2024
Dad (86 years) has alzheimer, diagnosed around a year ago. He has some problems giving us. family. a hard time. I really feel sad for him and don't know what to do to help him. One problem is that he keeps wanting to go home, although he is home! The moment he opens his eyes in the morning or in the middle of the night he wants to dress up and go home😢.. We would all be around him, but still he wants to go and see his family! sometimes he cries and that makes me cry with him.. Is this a normal behaviour with this disease.. any suggestions to help.. Thank you

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Sadly it is.
The 'home' he wants to go to will probably be years back- a place he remembers, maybe even his childhood home, with his mum and dad.
Sometimes its better just to agree, ''Its too cold/card/raining at the moment dad, we'll go later/soon/ o Tuesday''
They are statements know as 'love lies' - you and I know what we are saying isnt rue, but gives him the comfort he seeks. it flies in the face( Tell the truh) of everything we have ever been told, an isnt easy to do,

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello @FIFO and firstly welcome to this friendly and supportive forum. I am glad you have found us.
I am sorry to read about your Dad's diagnosis, and the worries and concerns you have for him.
Sadly, yes the behaviours you describe can be quite common in people with dementia.
You have already received sound advice, which I cannot really add to. 'love lies' as most of us here have had to tell at some point, do provide a little comfort for the person, but I know it is difficult to start doing. Just try perhaps.
Please do remember you will always find true understanding and a listening ear here.