Hi there!

Primary Carer C

Jul 10, 2023
I have worked for my Father since 2006 looking after his property portfolio. In 2019, my Father became very ill & was also diagnosed with dementia. At this point I moved in with him & revived him & I am still looking after him now. Once the diagnosis of dementia was confirmed, the POA (jointly & severally) was started. I have 3 Brothers A,B,C & D. Brother A has the POA for health & the Brother D has the POA for finance. However Brother B has control of my Father's bank. Only he has the password for online banking & he refuses to share it with anyone. Brother D does everything he says to the letter.
I have had a lot of problems from Brother B. He refuses to repay me for a wheelchair & also quite a few other expenses too. This is a few thousand pounds that I am owed. He stopped me having access to Dad's bank, because he can do this with online banking. I am given a set amount each week & this hasn't been increased despite the cost of living crisis because that is how Brother B wants it.
The only reason I am still paid is because of a long standing deal with my Father that I am paid directly by some tenants & I am self employed & sort my own tax. In March this year, the Doctor declared that Dad still has capacity & gave me a letter to tht effect. I am wanting to challenge my Brother B about an expensive property that has been transferred to himself & Brothers A & D. I know for a fact that he set up an email account for my computer illiterate Dad & then liased with his solicitor about the gifting of this property, although I can never prove the emails, I still have a good case. However I am worried that he will move to have me removed whilst this is going on. It is a clear case of control & abuse of the POA. Social services think that I am doing a great job & I am scarred that if my Brother moves against me I won't be able to afford to look after Dad & his health ill suffer. None of my Brothers live near & I do all the caring. What can I do? Please help.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @Primary Carer C and welcome to Dementia Talking Point, this is a friendly and supportive place. Your situation sounds very complex so some professional advice might be helpful for you. You mention social services - does your dad have a social worker who you could discuss these issues with, so that they are aware of what's going on? They might be able to consider safeguarding action if your dad is subject to financial abuse which is affecting his standard of care. You could also contact the Dementia Support Line as the staff there are very knowledgeable and helpful and will be able to point you in the direction of local support. Details here:

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/dementia-support-line

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
And @Primary Carer C ,depending on professional advice from solicitors, and the evidence you say you have, you can also speak with the Court of Protection where a LPoA is being misused or there is financial impropriety. Downside is that Ct of Protection take ages in doing anything, unless you can persuade them of the time critical nature of an intervention. From what you say, you'd need assistance and co-operation from brother D who has the LPoA for property and finance, unless you think he is part of the problem rather than part of the solution.

Primary Carer C

Jul 10, 2023
And @Primary Carer C ,depending on professional advice from solicitors, and the evidence you say you have, you can also speak with the Court of Protection where a LPoA is being misused or there is financial impropriety. Downside is that Ct of Protection take ages in doing anything, unless you can persuade them of the time critical nature of an intervention. From what you say, you'd need assistance and co-operation from brother D who has the LPoA for property and finance, unless you think he is part of the problem rather than part of the solution.
Brother D is definitely part of the problem. Brother B never did anything or said anything Brother D didn't like. So his co-operation can be totally discounted.