Hi my name is Sylvia and my husband has dementia

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome @Depressed /Sylvia, from another Sylvia

Loneliness is a terrible situation, especially when there is someone in the house with you who is probably lonely too, but in a different way.

I hope by posting here you will feel a connection with others in similar positions and it will help ease your loneliness.

It may not be tonight because it`s late but I`m hopeful for tomorrow.

takingstock

Jan 13, 2024
Lancashire
Hi just wanted to say hello my husband has dementia &sometimes I feel so lonely
Hi, it's just so difficult dealing with this horrible situation. My husband has dementia and sometimes I feel exactly the same, in fact most times. There's nobody to turn to, even though he has 3 daughters they don't share any of the burden. I can honestly say I sometimes despise him for taking my life away. Please know you're not alone most people in our position feel the same. We've got to carry on and always remember that this too shall pass

Buttercup16

Dec 26, 2023
It’s awful isn’t it. The emotions of loneliness, frustration and anger from this situation are horrible. My mum cared for my dad and would often cry and be so down. She loved my dad but the dementia he had was like a shadow eating away at that. Her workload and quality of life was much more heavily impacted by dementia than my dads. My mum died of a stroke, and after a year or so of me caring for dad, he is now in a care home. Now I know how hard it is to care for loved ones with dementia, I massively regret not supporting mum more and truly understanding how sad and difficult it is for carers. There are no answers I can offer, but I wanted to let you know that I feel for you and am so sorry you are going through this. I hope you can take pockets of time for yourself and grasp any opportunity for relief and comfort xx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Depressed.

I’m sorry you’re feeling so lonely. It’s hard when your other half isn’t able to be part of the connections you always used to have.

I’m glad you’ve found this forum. You’ll always find someone here to listen to you and to offer support. I hope it helps you to feel a little less lonely.

Depressed

Jun 8, 2024
It’s awful isn’t it. The emotions of loneliness, frustration and anger from this situation are horrible. My mum cared for my dad and would often cry and be so down. She loved my dad but the dementia he had was like a shadow eating away at that. Her workload and quality of life was much more heavily impacted by dementia than my dads. My mum died of a stroke, and after a year or so of me caring for dad, he is now in a care home. Now I know how hard it is to care for loved ones with dementia, I massively regret not supporting mum more and truly understanding how sad and difficult it is for carers. There are no answers I can offer, but I wanted to let you know that I feel for you and am so sorry you are going through this. I hope you can take pockets of time for yourself and grasp any opportunity for relief and comfort xx
Thank you so much it is indeed awfull

Depressed

Jun 8, 2024

I’m sorry you’re feeling so lonely. It’s hard when your other half isn’t able to be part of the connections you always used to have.

I’m glad you’ve found this forum. You’ll always find someone here to listen to you and to offer support. I hope it helps you to feel a little less lonely.
Thank you

Depressed

Jun 8, 2024

Thank you

Depressed

Jun 8, 2024
Hi, it's just so difficult dealing with this horrible situation. My husband has dementia and sometimes I feel exactly the same, in fact most times. There's nobody to turn to, even though he has 3 daughters they don't share any of the burden. I can honestly say I sometimes despise him for taking my life away. Please know you're not alone most people in our position feel the same. We've got to carry on and always remember that this too shall pass
Thank you it is so hard to slowly loose the one you love we have been married for 54 years

Anthoula

Apr 22, 2022
My goodness, that is me too - right down to the 3 non-sharing daughters. Some days, and to-day is one, I feel lonely and desperate.

takingstock

Jan 13, 2024
Lancashire
My goodness, that is me too - right down to the 3 non-sharing daughters. Some days, and to-day is one, I feel lonely and desperate.
Hi Anthoula, it's good that we can open up on such matters using this forum. If we all stick together we can get through this, I guess it's just a day at a time. Give me a text when you want a good moan or a scream. Big hugs please don't think you are alone x

Patticake

Jun 8, 2024
I'm very lonely also. I live in the country with no neighbors. My husbands children are no help at all and do not visit. I have one son living at home who is a big help but he is bipolar so not always in a good mood. I get out to go to church and shopping and doctor visits, Thats about it. I have 30 grandchildren some of which I have never met because I am stuck at home most of the time.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @Depressed @Buttercup16 and @Patticake welcome to the forum from me also. I am wondering if contact through the Alzheimer's Society Companion Call service would be of any interest to you. I believe that they do have a waiting list but it might be something for you to consider. I have attached a link below.

takingstock

Jan 13, 2024
Lancashire
I'm very lonely also. I live in the country with no neighbors. My husbands children are no help at all and do not visit. I have one son living at home who is a big help but he is bipolar so not always in a good mood. I get out to go to church and shopping and doctor visits, Thats about it. I have 30 grandchildren some of which I have never met because I am stuck at home most of the time.
Hi Patticake, it seems a few of us are struggling with the absence of close family. We also have grandchildren and great grandchildren, not a peep from them. What really aggravates is on the rare occasion they speak on the phone it's all love you dad, love you dad, they have a strange way of showing it. Anyway if we use the forum, talk to each other and compare days, I'm sure it'll make us stronger. Caring thoughts to you x

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
hello @Depressed my husband has vascular dementia. i find if i ask for something specific then im more likely to get my daughter or son to do it. my kids are only just in their 30s so quite young to be dealing with it. they also follow my lead in what my husband needs. my other 2, 1 doesnt want any contact and 1 who is moving to canada in july/august. my daughter works and has children so just does his meds. my son has recently moved to london so not as available. i have a grandson that does the garden but the others are a bit young.
im housebound so do get lonely. i have a befriender from a local charity that ive had for the last 2 years. it gives me someone else to talk to and look forward to her calls.

Anthoula

Apr 22, 2022
Hi Anthoula, it's good that we can open up on such matters using this forum. If we all stick together we can get through this, I guess it's just a day at a time. Give me a text when you want a good moan or a scream. Big hugs please don't think you are alone x
Thank you. Some days can be a struggle. x

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hello and welcome from me too. Before my wife an mum passed away at least I had a pupose in life caring for them.
Rattling round an empty house on my own isn't fun either.
Our oldest child will be over 40 this year so flying solo was a long time ago for me nearly 50 years since we got together.
These days I just wing it, will Mrs nextdoor take me shopping with the kids, will Mr nextdoor take me to work or his little sister and her baby take me somewhere.
A long time ago on here I asked is it easier for man as a carer, not for doing the care more the social side of things.
Would Mr nextdoor take a nearly 70 year old woman to work with him, maybe, Mrs nextdoor and little sis would take me shopping with the kids, probably.
I'm there for them because they were there for me too, when the going got tough, k

BeeBeeDee

Apr 19, 2023
Hello, am sorry you are feeling this way. I am not so lonely as can get out and family all live very closeby. But I feel sad that life has taken this turn and my husband is not the man I married. I feel resentful that this is what life has thrown at me - I want to throw it back X