Hi I'm new here 😃

happystarz

Jan 16, 2024
I joined this forum due to my Mum having dementia. I'm feeling very overwhelmed at the moment as my Mum has been in hospital since 27th Dec. Her partner was her carer but can no longer provide the care Mum needs. Sadly he does not communicate with my sister and I and we know it will be very difficult with him when trying to arrange 24/7care for Mum before she leaves hospital. We've always tried to communicate with him and maintain a friendly approach, but he's told us very little about Mum and her health and resorts to belittling and mocking me and being nasty. I have my own mental health issues I manage but I've always offered help with Mum but it's never been accepted and his attitude is that my sister and I don't care about Mum and have never bothered which is untrue, Mum is our No.1 priority.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @happystarz and welcome to Dementia Support Forum our friendly and helpful community of members who have experience of many aspects of dementia.

I am sorry to hear about your mum. It does seem that her partner has been struggling and may need help in getting her the care she needs. I don't have direct experience of this, but wondered whether your mum will be subject to the discharge to assess process, whereby her discharge from hospital may be to a place where her needs can be properly assessed.

Other members know far more about this than me and hopefully will be able to give you more information about what is involved.

happystarz

Jan 16, 2024
Hi @happystarz and welcome to Dementia Support Forum our friendly and helpful community of members who have experience of many aspects of dementia.

I am sorry to hear about your mum. It does seem that her partner has been struggling and may need help in getting her the care she needs. I don't have direct experience of this, but wondered whether your mum will be subject to the discharge to assess process, whereby her discharge from hospital may be to a place where her needs can be properly assessed.

Other members know far more about this than me and hopefully will be able to give you more information about what is involved.
Hi @northumbrian_k thank you for your reply and the information about the discharge to assess process, I will look into it.