Hi everyone

Hugh Jeffort

Apr 10, 2024
Good morning,

I have stumbled across this group, like many others I guess, while desperately searching for help with my mother-in-laws worsening dementia.
I would like to hear others stories in the hope there is someone in a similar situation that could give me an idea of where to turn too next...............

To give an overview of our current situation, my mother-in-law is 80 and was diagnosed a couple of years ago with early dementia. She lives with my father-in-law who is 85 and in relatively good health, or was!

As i'm sure is the same for lots of people here, her diagnosis wasn't a fast one and we spent at least a couple of years fighting to find out what was wrong with her.

We managed to get them to move home, closer to us, so we could support them, and for a short while that really helped.
Unfortunately, as her illness has worsened, she has at times become violent and almost always aggressive towards her husband and my wife, while at the same time not wanting to leave his side.

My wife has been there as much as she can, attending nurse assessment visits and providing respite for him but she herself has been living with metastatic cancer for 8 years and needs help herself. My MIL refuses to go to any groups and gets angry when its mentioned. For an easy life my FIL lets her have her way. The same goes for food, she says shes not hungry so he doesn't cook for her, even though we tell him to cook anyway and put it in front of her (When we do this she eats).

Things have come to a head the last couple of weeks, hence my search for help. My MIL has temporarily moved in with us while they are having their bathroom made more accessible. My FIL has stayed at home and is refusing to come and visit her saying he can't cope. My wife is exhausted and is in constant pain herself. My children (16,11) and I are trying our best to do what we can but she does not know us anymore and gets understandably anxious and scared when left with us. The only one she seems to remember without exception is our dog!

My FIL is now saying he doesn't want her to come back but has made it clear a care home is not an option. I have told my wife whatever she wants to happen I am fine with as we are lucky enough to have the space at home, but I know she doesn't have the strength to have her full time, even with us doing all we can. My wife is at breaking point and her dad is in hiding, I just don't know what to do to help.

For clarity. we are seeing a GP that just seems to want to fiddle with medication, my FIL refuses to see a doctor for his depression. And we have had nurse visits but my MIL seems to be able to act so normal when she is there (Not completely but enough) that even we wonder if shes faking the whole thing (We know she is not but its so hard to keep tracks of where her personality/ability is minute by minute)

Sorry this has gone on. I very much appreciate there are people in much more dire situations than us so I thank anyone that has taken the time to read this and can provide helpful info.

Many Thanks

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @Hugh Jeffort and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum. I am so sorry to read what you are going through especially as your wife has her own health problems. I think that you will have to consider residential care for your mother-in-law whether or not your father-in-law wants that. He has already indicated that he cannot care for his wife but he cannot expect you and your wife to take over. Your main responsibility must be to your wife and to your children, and as you have seen children and people with dementia rarely mix.
I do hope that this has helped a little but please come back with any further questions.

SherwoodSue

Jun 18, 2022
Such a sad situation. Father in law isn’t operating from a place of logic. He finds his wife unable to cope with in a domestic setting but thinks the YOU should be able to do just that.
People with dementia have to be given what meets their needs not what they want. Your MIL may not want to go into care but it’s the only solution.

I think FIL will be relieved when his wife is in an appropriate situation eventually but can absolve himself of the responsibility of the decision.

Your wife’s cancer care needs to be your priority.

Wish you well

Hugh Jeffort

Apr 10, 2024
Thanks for the replies guys. Apologies I haven’t been back on to reply sooner.
The last week has been up and down. MIL has fought us every morning demanding she goes home. But by late morning, when we’ve talked to her about everying showing her photos etc she has calmed right down and seemed to be accepting the current living arrangements. Unfortunately both my wife and myself had to be at work today and FIL came to our house to be with her, unfortunately after an hour of this she was back demanding to go home and as his patience is not like my wife’s, he took her home. The current state of the work being carried out at their house means it’s completely unsuitable for her to be there. Is it common for sufferers to deteriorate very quickly. 2 weeks ago she knew who I was, now the last week she does not know me or my son, and now the last few days she is asking who her daughter is and forgets her mother passed away 50 years ago. I have never experienced this before and it seems to be getting worse far quicker than before. Could that be the stress of not being at home? The change in routine?

Thank you for taking the time to read.

Ellie2018

Jun 26, 2023
It’s understandable to feel that you don’t want her to move into residential but it sounds like that’s what is needed. You would feel terrible if the aggression she shows is directed and the children. We as adults sometimes find it hard to know it’s all the disease and question whether she is faking, I’m due the children would find it even harder. She could be feeling anxious and unsafe and that may improve if she has residential support 24/7. Good luck with it, it’s an awful decision to have to take but you it’s important to consider your family and their health and well-being.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jan2010