Hi! Advice and tips for caring for advanced dementia?

Nackington

Nov 17, 2021
Hi, I care part time for a lady (my bestie now!) who has what I would think is advanced dementia. Lately, alongside no short term memory at all, her words are starting to become muddled and sentences don’t make sense. I tend to go along with this and attempt to pick up on certain words and simply agree. Her husband is 87 and is her main caregiver but it’s becoming increasingly difficult for him. The family would prefer a live in carer and I was just wondering whether anyone knows where to source one. Many thanks in advance.xx

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
Hi @Nackington
Welcome to the Talking Point forum again.
Your lady friend's husband can ask LA Adult Social Services for a care assessment to assess what care the PDW needs; and for a carer's assessment to assess his position as well.
As to getting in carers it depends on whether the PWD will be self funding or not. Full time live in carers (as there would one (or more) for day and one (or more) for night (as no paid carer could do 24 hours)) would probably be as expensive as moving into a residential care home.
If you investigate the Alzheimer's Society's website you will find lots of usual information about this.
Best wishes

Nackington

Nov 17, 2021
Hi @Nackington
Welcome to the Talking Point forum again.
Your lady friend's husband can ask LA Adult Social Services for a care assessment to assess what care the PDW needs; and for a carer's assessment to assess his position as well.
As to getting in carers it depends on whether the PWD will be self funding or not. Full time live in carers (as there would one (or more) for day and one (or more) for night (as no paid carer could do 24 hours)) would probably be as expensive as moving into a residential care home.
If you investigate the Alzheimer's Society's website you will find lots of usual information about this.
Best wishes
Thank you so much.🙏🏻