Help

Thebeyond

May 13, 2022
Hello there people,
new member here seeking advice please.
am carer for elderly mum who has been home after a month in hospital for food related issues. While it's great that she's now eating normally again, sadly her Alzheimer's dementia has exponentially deteriorated to the extreme of shouting and calling for up to 14 hours a day. ( then when we come denying she had done so while going higher into delirium and hyperactive mania).
I've sent two pleading letters via contact forms to our local g p practice over the last month or so..no reply. Normal contact seems impossible via phone in morning.
at this rate she will inadvertently kill dad a stroke recoverer and me as well while she's at it.
I will try to contact the practice again tomorrow, with people's knowledge here is there opinions on what I should ask for because we can't really be ignored again now she's crossed the line into relentless agitation.
She's screaming now,must go.
Thanks in advance.

KatyKat

May 8, 2022
Hi -- I don't have much advice, as I'm new to caregiving (3.5 months to 91 year old Mum with dementia). Just wanted to say I'm here, I support you, and I feel for you. I know what it's like to be shouted at and hit only because of trying to help. I'm also having trouble getting the GP to respond and am thinking of a referral to a geriatric psych to get Mum on a higher dose tranquiliser.

Thebeyond

May 13, 2022
Hi -- I don't have much advice, as I'm new to caregiving (3.5 months to 91 year old Mum with dementia). Just wanted to say I'm here, I support you, and I feel for you. I know what it's like to be shouted at and hit only because of trying to help. I'm also having trouble getting the GP to respond and am thinking of a referral to a geriatric psych to get Mum on a higher dose tranquiliser.
hello Katy,
thanks ,don't worry, it seems like hell without hope but we will get through.
my head hurts at moment hence short reply, but appreciate your goodwill.?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I will try to contact the practice again tomorrow, with people's knowledge here is there opinions on what I should ask for because we can't really be ignored again now she's crossed the line into relentless agitation.
I would ask the GP for an urgent referral to the Community Mental Health Team - they are the ones who have the access to the medication that she needs to calm her down. Please make sure that the person you speak to knows how urgent it is and that there is another vulnerable adult in the home.

KatyKat

May 8, 2022
hello Katy,
thanks ,don't worry, it seems like hell without hope but we will get through.
my head hurts at moment hence short reply, but appreciate your goodwill.?
Every morning when I type in Mum's door code, I feel there should be a warning over the doorway saying "Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here". I often wonder what I did to deserve this living hell.

I do hope your head is better soon. I've noticed more and worse head and other aches since caregiving as well.

Thebeyond

May 13, 2022
Thank you Canary.
excellent advice, will incorporate information into my email to Go tomorrow.
Hang on in there katykat, your doing what you can. I'm sure you hate platitudes but I guess we're all living it here

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
It is shocking that you have had no replies from the GP. @canary gives good advice about asking for an urgent referral to Community Mental Health . In some areas you can also self refer so that could be an option.

Good luck and I really do hope that you get help soon.

Thebeyond

May 13, 2022
Thank you Gillp,
yes will take Canarys advice.
another day of screaming the same things at demonic volume..a surreal nightmare.
once it was at seven minute intervals now as dad or I leave the room it begins. A relay without end.

Arthurgeorge

Dec 16, 2020
Make your call with the screaming in the background. Record it as well, as if anyone comes to visit your poor Mum might not scream while there is a visitor there.

Thebeyond

May 13, 2022
Thanks Arthurgeorge
You've nailed it, 3 ambulances over the last month or so, and she's miraculously good as gold all fun and games.
I actually filmed her earlier today, I hate to do it as I hate the modern intrusion into privacy and uploads on the internet but she's not in right mind for permission and it's now needs must.

Thebeyond

May 13, 2022
Dad's been compelled to call the ambulance for her in desperation.
Hope this time it leads to tangible solutions and actions.

taliahad

Nov 22, 2021
Risperidone helped my mum with her aggression, it has worked wonders for our family. I think mum would have given herself a heart attack by now if she hadn't been prescribed it. Mirtazapine has also been helpful in reducing agitation at night. You need to make the GP understand how bad things are, don't let them ignore you. Best of luck, I feel your pain.

Thebeyond

May 13, 2022
Risperidone helped my mum with her aggression, it has worked wonders for our family. I think mum would have given herself a heart attack by now if she hadn't been prescribed it. Mirtazapine has also been helpful in reducing agitation at night. You need to make the GP understand how bad things are, don't let them ignore you. Best of luck, I feel your pain.
thanks Tallahad,
all appreciated ,it's a relief that anyone here seems to believe me after so long in the wilderness, but I see others here have really lived it and maybe on a far worse level than me, some of the other threads I've read have been humbling and revelatory.
Thanks for the medication names.

T1000

Feb 3, 2022
I am so sorry to hear this, sounds very difficult and I am early in the journey, so good to hear other people's experience. Can you contact your local Alzheimers support and can they raise a case? I got help that way and with the escalation I got a little care for myself in the form of a one off payment for massages and therapy, and mum got social worker who is still involved. Might be better than waiting for the doctor.

Thebeyond

May 13, 2022
I am so sorry to hear this, sounds very difficult and I am early in the journey, so good to hear other people's experience. Can you contact your local Alzheimers support and can they raise a case? I got help that way and with the escalation I got a little care for myself in the form of a one off payment for massages and therapy, and mum got social worker who is still involved. Might be better than waiting for the doctor.
thanks T1000,
when I get a little recovery will look into finding a local Alzheimer's support as you said and see where it goes.
Hope all goes good for you.

T1000

Feb 3, 2022
They can signpost, which is a new word for me, to some higher up referrals possibly. My mum has a panel, even though she is early on, formed of doctor, and mental health team/social workers. They *should* all communicate together.

Cinnamon009

Feb 12, 2022
Hi TheBeyond, you mention that your mum has alzheimers. Has she been formally diagnosed? Since mum was diagnosed we now have a contact at the memory clinic and I can log for call out visits which have resumed in emergencies from the GP. The memory clinic came out and set up a meds timer for her after she gulped three down when she was started on them as she doesn't remember taking them. Did you not have anything from when she was diagnosed?

We have also been contacted by social services who will assess her care needs every so often. It all seems very positive but wondering if it stalls the further out from diagnosis they are. It does seem like the more noise you make with the gp etc the more action is taken. To get the referral I phoned the gp every week for months.

Thebeyond

May 13, 2022
Thanks to Cinnamon and T100 for replies. Apologies for late acknowledgement, being trying to rest up. On the good side,
,Community mental health team will visit mum on Wednesday.
Thanks all for input.

T1000

Feb 3, 2022
Thanks to Cinnamon and T100 for replies. Apologies for late acknowledgement, being trying to rest up. On the good side,
,Community mental health team will visit mum on Wednesday.
Thanks all for input.
That's great news hopefully you can get some support today

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzieMK27