Help with Social housing advice

Stephen

Sep 5, 2008
London
i am being told that that I have to leave my flat which I have lived with my mum for 41 years and I have cared for my mum for 14 years of those. It's certainly not been easy. It was heartbreaking for me that she was taken into hospital due to her decline and after 2 weeks she needed further treatment which was not suitable at home therefore she was placed into a care home on a review basis.

It's been 2 years and she has got better thank god but it has taken some time and I have been at the care home every day spending every weekend, leaving at 9pm or later. I spend more time with her than I do at home. Considering how receptive she is to me by my voice and what I know like song etc she manages to eat her meals, put on weight and physically get better. The many years we have had together I have not shunned my responsibilities as a carer. My mum can not feel alone.

The situation I face is I am told by the housing association that my father who was still the sole tenant to the property gave a notice to quit. The housing association has told me that she has received notification that my mum is at the care home permanently as its been 2 years and considering that she is not deemed to return to the property, then I have no reason to be in a 3 bedroom flat. The housing association officer has told me to go to the council and fill a homeless application form when I'm told that there that there is no such thing as its only for people in priority.

I am very much lost as I have been fobbed off from one place to another. If my mum is not able to leave the care home I need to be downsized to a 1 bedroom somewhere as close to my mum as possible. But I feel they are not giving me any housing advice except to go private and I can't. I'm truly heartbroken in leaving but the thought of being homeless with all my mothers things I just don't know what to do.

There's more to this but I hope someone can help me.

Regards,

Stephen

Last edited:

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Oh Stephen I am so sorry. You are in such a difficult situation. I can understand that the Housing Association might not want you to be in a 3 bed flat but there must be someone who can help you downsize. Have you actually been along to the HA and spoken to them in person? Can Citizens Advice help you?

You need some help to find a solution to this, as soon as possible. I will bump this, someone will have some experience .
Thinking of you

la lucia

Jul 3, 2011
i am being told that that I have to leave my flat which I have lived with my mum for 41 years and I have cared for my mum for 14 years of those. It's certainly not been easy. It was heartbreaking for me that she was taken into hospital due to her decline and after 2 weeks she needed further treatment which was not suitable at home therefore she was placed into a care home on a review basis.

It's been 2 years and she has got better thank god but it has taken some time and I have been at the care home every day spending every weekend, leaving at 9pm or later. I spend more time with her than I do at home. Considering how receptive she is to me by my voice and what I know like song etc she manages to eat her meals, put on weight and physically get better. The many years we have had together I have not shunned my responsibilities as a carer. My mum can not feel alone.

The situation I face is I am told by the housing association that my father who was still the sole tenant to the property gave a notice to quit. The housing association has told me that she has received notification that my mum is at the care home permanently as its been 2 years and considering that she is not deemed to return to the property, then I have no reason to be in a 3 bedroom flat. The housing association officer has told me to go to the council and fill a homeless application form when I'm told that there that there is no such thing as its only for people in priority.

I am very much lost as I have been fobbed off from one place to another. If my mum is not able to leave the care home I need to be downsized to a 1 bedroom somewhere as close to my mum as possible. But I feel they are not giving me any housing advice except to go private and I can't. I'm truly heartbroken in leaving but the thought of being homeless with all my mothers things I just don't know what to do.

There's more to this but I hope someone can help me.

Regards,

Stephen

Can you not get your father onside? Where is he in all this if that's not a too personal question? Can you not ask him not to terminate the tenancy and to put you on the tenancy agreement? You could then agree with the housing association that you are willing to transfer.

You really need to get some help with this - Citizens Advice maybe and also local carers associations. You must emphasise that you are a carer and try and get help. If you have any proven medical problems make sure they know and be prepared to show documents for everything. You need to also emphasise that you need to be near your mother as you are her carer. Just because she is in a care home doesn't mean that she doesn't need you.

You could also ring Shelter for recommendations for local help and contact your MP.

If you don't know who is your MP check the website 'They Work for You.'

Try and get proactive and make a plan of action because not only is it the way to solve the problem but it will help you feel like you are doing something constructive in what must be for you, a very scary situation.

The very best of luck.

Stephen

Sep 5, 2008
London
Thank you for your comments

My father passed away on my mums birthday last year in December but many months before perhaps before the tenancy was terminated via my sister (without my knowledge) sent a letter to the council with his displeasure at his daughter allowing him to sign the termination saying it was (best for everyone) and that he wanted to revoke the termination as it was something he did not want to happen. That he did not want his son to be homeless and that he had been caring for his wife. This happen when I got a notification to quit. The housing association will not revoke it, they won't supply me with a copy of the termination to check the date under the freedom of information act. People have said to stay where I am because I have a history of 41 years, never leaving my mum.

Before the letter to revoke the tenancy a letter was sent to the housing association to pass the tenancy to me. I was not sure if this could be done because of succession rights but the housing association has that letter.

I have a letter from the manager at the care home explaining the length I go to for my mum. That I am there every day attending to every need and that I am a huge influence
towards her rehabilitation since her arrival and that it would be in her best interest that I am rehoused and near to her.

I had a telephone conversation with someone at the council as it was the housing association that pointier me in the direction to be rehoused only to be told that I'm healthy, have no kids, and I'm working, not of priority, and that I was not a carer because my mum was in a care home. I said just because she is there I've not shrugged off my responsibilities. I've taken a week off work to resolve this long term, short term situation but I feel I've not got any further in being rehoused in social housing. That's all I'm asking. I don't have a problem as I understand that a 3 bedroom property would be suitable for another family. The problem and fear I have is after 41 years of living in the same property, my mum, my life all that has happen as I have explain I'm told to go to the council to be rehoused only to be told that I have private option available to which I can not afford, I can not flat share, buddy up. I just want to be rehoused to a smaller accommodation in social housing nearer to my mum because it's in her best interest that I'm rehoused in affordable accomodation near to her.
The housing association will get their 3 bedroom and that's it. After so many wonderful years with my mum living at this address, looking after my mum at home I'm find this situation hard for myself as I'm having to think about myself i.e homelessness, rehousing, knowing my rights, finding private accommodation. The stress, the worry. My mum is still alive. I go every day to not see her but to be with her and she needs me. I can get in contact with admiral nurses. One of them knew me and my mum and we spoke in many conversations about my relationship towards my mother.

I have a doctors appointment next week because this situation has affected my work, I don't sleep as much because of the constant worry. Caring for a loved one has not been easy and I refuse to say that I am the same person I was before I knew what Alzhimers was because I'm not. I feel like I'm being treated as if nothing my life has happened. They don't see the carer and that the carer is still active regardless if the ex tenant is at a care home. Apparently the housing association do not consider me or my mum as tenants but occupiers. To me it sounds insulting towards my mum.

I have not spoken to my MP but was thinking about it.

Thank you for your comments. I really appreciate any kind of advice.

Regards,

Stephen

Last edited:

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Presumably your mothers fees are being met by the local authority , and as they see it they are subsiding both of you. She now resides in the care home, not the flat.

Although you have lived there 40 odd years, and you work, bottom line is you are probably not entitled to council accommodation. Is there a reason that you cannot rent privately?

I have a friend who rents a room in a shared house, they each have their own room, share the kitchen and bathroom. its £60 a week, no bills to worry about. Why would that not be an option for you?

Last edited:

la lucia

Jul 3, 2011
Presumably your mothers fees are being met by the local authority , and as they see it they are subsiding both of you. She now resides in the care home, not the flat.

Although you have lived there 40 odd years, and you work, bottom line is you are probably not entitled to council accommodation. Is there a reason that you cannot rent privately?

I have a friend who rents a room in a shared house, they each have their own room, share the kitchen and bathroom. its £60 a week, no bills to worry about. Why would that not be an option for you?

In London you are highly unlikely to find a rented room for under £150 per week - and competition for anything decent at that price is fierce. On top of that is the problem of then finding a rented room that fits in with your age and lifestyle - ie quiet so you can sleep when you need to, kitchen not a disaster zone and so on.

I had to move dozens of times until I found a live-in landlady who respected my horrendous shifts in journalism and which would enable me to sleep.

I believe that if you are over 50 the council has a greater obligation to help. Although I know some councils seem to take that to mean sheltered housing.

I will repeat what I said above - please get professional advice asap. You have to be near your mother for her sake as well as yours. If it was the other way round ie your mum going into a care home, they would try and find a place as near as possible to her principal carer. That should work both ways.

I'm sorry it's such a stressful situation - and London multiplies it considerably. It's not funny being middle aged and facing these situations and it's becoming increasingly common.

I don't think social housing is a 'subsidy' - it pays for itself over and over again.

Best of luck Stephen

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
In London you are highly unlikely to find a rented room for under £150 per week - and competition for anything decent at that price is fierce.

But I am sure the rent on the flat that Stephen presumably pay must be comparable on that anyway. If Mum had housing benefit that must surely have ceased?

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Am:eek: on your behalf Stephen at how you are being treated by your HA, there really is no common sense let alone justice in what they are attempting to do to you.

I wonder if you have contacted Shelter for your area and if they may be able to help you from a legal perspective. You surely have a right to social housing still.

Wishing you strength as you seek help from your GP and others to resolve this situation. Do contact the Admiral nurses as they perhaps can write for you that it would detrimentally affect not only you but your Mum too should the HA persist in their unreasonable action.

Take care
Sue:)

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
@ Jessbow Social housing is significantly less expensive than private rented accommodation.

I remember being told by a Housing Officer that given the UK's dire shortage of housing and how excessively expensive it is, the UK needs to either provide discounted housing or subsidise the tenant if most middle and low income people are to be decently housed. Judging by what's happening now, he was right.

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
I'd agree with everybody else Stephen - you need informed advice and fast.

At the very least, someone with "official" status (eg CAB or Shelter case worker or MP) would be in a better position than you are to require the Housing Association etc to provide you with the documentation and history concerning your father's termination of the tenancy.

Good luck, I hope the next few days produce helpful answers.

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
@ Jessbow Social housing is significantly less expensive than private rented accommodation.

I remember being told by a Housing Officer that given the UK's dire shortage of housing and how excessively expensive it is, the UK needs to either provide discounted housing or subsidise the tenant if most middle and low income people are to be decently housed. Judging by what's happening now, he was right.

Stephen is at the sharp end of a growing problem especially in London. There are probably families waiting on the HA list desperately for 3-bed housing so it is understandable that the HA want Stephen to move - and Stephen accepts that. He may also be liable for the 'bedroom tax' which might make it unaffordable for him to stay put. The real frustration is the lack of 1-bed accommodation available for people in these circumstances who can't find anything suitable to move to.

Security of tenure is also a major difference between social housing and the private rented sector, as is the need to find substantial upfront costs for deposits and the numerous fees charged by letting agents. I think Shelter or CAB are the best options as they will know both the law, the LA policies and the local area options.

Stephen

Sep 5, 2008
London
Thank you once again

Housing benefit has ceased but the rent is in credit. What will happen to that money if it's in credit? At work today I was unable to do anything. One co-worker saw me making tea crying my eyes out and shaking. My boss heard me in the kitchen and wanted to speak with me. I was a wreck in his office. I have worked for the company over 12 years and I spoke to him of me looking after my mum and the depression I have felt that chooses to spend time with me, my father dying on my mums birthday and now the having to feel that I am being force far from where my mum is only because I can afford it. It's always been about my mum and what is best for her and that is me being the one person who has help her the most towards her care, her well being and her recovery but to relocate far from her because to go private that is all I can afford that would not benefit her. This is my mum I'm talking about and I am still a carer. At work I could not think or remember anything as I had worked. I was a wreck. My boss told me to go home, rest, resolve this issue and see a doctor if I can.

He said he will write a letter to explain what had happened today and my position at the office. I'm taking next week off to get as much done if I can.

Thank you once again for your comments.

Regards,

Stephen

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
Virtual hugs coming your way, Stephen. Please keep posting - we'll all be trying to help.

At least you've got a sympathetic boss and work colleagues. It's not enough - but it's something.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
Steven, I can see you desperately need some help. Please read the following from the Shelter website which is the legal position.

Can you inherit a housing association tenancy?

Your right to inherit a housing association tenancy varies depending on the type of tenancy granted to the tenant who died.

Succession rights when a housing association tenant dies

The right for a housing association tenancy to be passed on when a tenant dies is known as succession.

A housing association tenancy can usually only be inherited once. You cannot inherit the tenancy if the tenant who died had themselves succeeded to the tenancy. In some cases, the tenancy agreement allows for more than one succession. It's important to check.

Your right to inherit or succeed to the housing association tenancy depends on the type of tenancy and your relationship with the person who died. Most housing association tenants have an assured tenancy. Ask at your housing office if you don't know what type of tenancy your relative had.

Before you can inherit a tenancy, the housing association may ask you to provide evidence of who you are, how you were related and how long you had been living with the tenant who died.

If you inherit the tenancy, it will be the same type of tenancy as that of the tenant who died. Your rent will be the same and you will have the same rights as the previous tenant.

I have put in bold the important parts. I think you are in a good position as the tenancy didn't pass to your mother on your father's death in December as she was already in a care home.

Therefore, as son the right to tenancy should by law pass to you. However, it depends as outlined above, on the type of tenancy your father had with the HA. This is what you need to find out.

As others have mentioned above, you need to get someone from 'officialdom' on your side. As this is a local government matter, I would suggest your local Councillor. Can you find out their name and get in touch with them and explain the problem. They will be able to speak for you and find out information that is being withheld. It is in their interests, as a representative of the people they serve, to help you. I urge you to contact them asap especially this week while you're off work with their sanction. If you need further time, do go to the doctors and get a sick certificate.

Last edited:

Stephen

Sep 5, 2008
London
My mums passing

My beautiful mum passed away 11th April. I'm lost without her and now in a flat we have both been living together for 41 years and the council want me out as soon as I have finished making arrangements. They are not offering me anything to downsize to. They are wanting me to go private. At this very moment I am arranging the funeral and the flat is covered with half filled boxes with my mums belongings. 7 days before my mums condition deteriorated I had a nervous breakdown with all the pressures of the move and my mum to which I saw a doctor and I was suffering from depression and amity. Now I really can not go through with anything at the moment when it comes to moving to nothing.

Stephen

Sep 5, 2008
London
Thank you

My father had a secure tenancy

My mum sadly passed away last week.

Steven, I can see you desperately need some help. Please read the following from the Shelter website which is the legal position.

Can you inherit a housing association tenancy?

Your right to inherit a housing association tenancy varies depending on the type of tenancy granted to the tenant who died.

Succession rights when a housing association tenant dies

The right for a housing association tenancy to be passed on when a tenant dies is known as succession.

A housing association tenancy can usually only be inherited once. You cannot inherit the tenancy if the tenant who died had themselves succeeded to the tenancy. In some cases, the tenancy agreement allows for more than one succession. It's important to check.

Your right to inherit or succeed to the housing association tenancy depends on the type of tenancy and your relationship with the person who died. Most housing association tenants have an assured tenancy. Ask at your housing office if you don't know what type of tenancy your relative had.

Before you can inherit a tenancy, the housing association may ask you to provide evidence of who you are, how you were related and how long you had been living with the tenant who died.

If you inherit the tenancy, it will be the same type of tenancy as that of the tenant who died. Your rent will be the same and you will have the same rights as the previous tenant.

I have put in bold the important parts. I think you are in a good position as the tenancy didn't pass to your mother on your father's death in December as she was already in a care home.

Therefore, as son the right to tenancy should by law pass to you. However, it depends as outlined above, on the type of tenancy your father had with the HA. This is what you need to find out.

As others have mentioned above, you need to get someone from 'officialdom' on your side. As this is a local government matter, I would suggest your local Councillor. Can you find out their name and get in touch with them and explain the problem. They will be able to speak for you and find out information that is being withheld. It is in their interests, as a representative of the people they serve, to help you. I urge you to contact them asap especially this week while you're off work with their sanction. If you need further time, do go to the doctors and get a sick certificate.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Stephen, I am so sorry to read of your the loss of your Mum.

May you find strength for the days ahead.
Sue

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I am so sorry for the loss of your mum, Stephen, and also for the uncertainty ahead.
I dont know what to suggest ((((hugs))))

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
so sad Stephen
my condolences on the loss of your mother

I don't know anything about housing issues - but hope you can get some advice and support to deal with everything

best wishes

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
I am so sorry, Stephen. When I posted I didn't realise your Mum was so ill. I can understand how hard all this is for you but I would still urge you to get your local councillor on your side as, by rights, your father's tenancy should have passed to you (that is the right to housing even if they re-housed you in a single person's property).

Despite what your sister did, which I think might be illegal, in telling the HA to not allow your father to assign the tenancy, I believe you have a right to it. You said that your father wrote to them retracting what your sister had tried to do.

Please, please get some advice. Explain the situation to someone on the council or to the Citizens' Advice Bureau. If you don't know your local councillor, send me a private message and I will see if I can find someone for you. You cannot be left in this situation as well as dealing with your grief and in your current mental state.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrsmagsey