Help with Social housing advice

1mindy

Jul 21, 2015
Shropshire
Hi Stephen. From what I can gather from this is that your mother had the succession from your father and there can only be one succession , hence your notice to quit. If you are on housing benefit you are only looking at a one bedroom property so again are not eligible for any three bedroom property. Which you know.
There are so few 1 bedroom properties with any social housing provider and this is the real crux of the problem.
So the advice for private rented I'm afraid is a very sound one. If you go through the homeless option at the council you will not be priority and again it is a lack of one bedroom properties.
H B ,if you are on it ,,will pay for private one bed accommodation if you can find it.
Sorry I can't give you any more hope , but I do think your H O could be a lot more proactive on your behalf.This could be the difference from finding a home or not .

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
Mindy, I don't think this is correct as Stephen's mother would not have succeeded to the tenancy - she has been in care for two years and Stephen's father only died a few months ago, so therefore the one succession could be to his son. Actually, I think it is assignment in the case of a child as a spouse can succeed to the actual property, but any other relative living there can claim a right to tenancy but not that particular property. As you say, in Stephen's case this would be a single person's flat.

I know something about all this as I had to look into it for myself as my mother was the tenant of a council property, now the owner as it has been bought.

I think that Stephen has a good case for continuing to be a tenant of that Housing Association and I do hope he gets some help and good advice.

1mindy

Jul 21, 2015
Shropshire
When Stephens father died unless he didn't tell his HO of his father's death and his mother's situation then something must have happened. The succession to his mother or the assignment to him. As things are currently he would not get the assignment so it should be the succession.
Sorry but Stephen you need to get your HO on side and find you a one bed property.
I know a little bit about it as I am a HO .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa