Help with practicalities of hair washing in a Care Home

Tilly13

Jul 27, 2020
Hello
Please can anyone give me some hints and tips on washing Mums hair in her Care Home.
They don't have a salon or a visiting hairdresser so I'm wanting to know if anyone else has found any products helpful to use with hair washing ( which could be at a sink ).
I'm trying to organise a hairdresser for a cut but Mums hair gets greasy very quickly
I've got the usual dry shampoos and no water shampoo

Thank you

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Tilly13

Is your mum bathed? If so her hair can be washed in the bath.

If she is showered and seated in the shower, the same for that.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
My wife did not like getting hair wet in the walk in shower, kneeling at the side of the bath and using a hand held shower was the solution.

illmyselfandoverwhelmed

Jan 9, 2022
Have you tried the hair washing caps? The care home used them for my mum when she became bedridden. They are easy to use, and you can buy them online.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Have you tried the hair washing caps? The care home used them for my mum when she became bedridden. They are easy to use, and you can buy them online.
I used to purchase mine from Boots online.
They were a good price and if you brought a few, then click and collect was free.
Microwave for 20 seconds. Place on the head just like a shower cap. Massage. Remove, then dry.
So easy.

extoyboy

Oct 2, 2021
My wife has an inflatable hair wash basin from Amazon that the carers use to wash her hair every week. She's bed-bound so this works very well for her.