help with diagnosis

nellietheknit

Mar 1, 2024
Mum is in residential care. She is very happy thinking she is living in a hotel. She can't remember where she lived before and can't remember a conversation she had a few minutes ago. Without prompting she wouldn't shower or brush her teeth or change her clothes. She is often very confused about where she is and who people around her are. Before she moved into the care home, she wasn't eating or drinking properly or looking after herself. Several years ago she gave me and my brother power of attorney, dependent on her losing mental capacity. Therefore we need evidence of her lack of capacity so that we can look after her financial affairs, etc. We asked the doctor who visits the care home and received a letter saying that they no longer do proper assessments for dementia because of the possible distress memory tests and scans cause to patients. But they did send the practice nurse to do an informal assessment. We were told the result of that was inconclusive, that Mum was 'borderline'. Yet it's perfectly evident for anyone spending just a small amount of time with her that Mum is very far from being mentally competent. Apart from asking the doctor to certify that Mum is capable of living alone, dealing with her own financial affairs and looking after herself, I am not sure where to go with this. Has anyone experienced anything similar or does anyone have any advice?

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Mum is in residential care. She is very happy thinking she is living in a hotel. She can't remember where she lived before and can't remember a conversation she had a few minutes ago. Without prompting she wouldn't shower or brush her teeth or change her clothes. She is often very confused about where she is and who people around her are. Before she moved into the care home, she wasn't eating or drinking properly or looking after herself. Several years ago she gave me and my brother power of attorney, dependent on her losing mental capacity. Therefore we need evidence of her lack of capacity so that we can look after her financial affairs, etc. We asked the doctor who visits the care home and received a letter saying that they no longer do proper assessments for dementia because of the possible distress memory tests and scans cause to patients. But they did send the practice nurse to do an informal assessment. We were told the result of that was inconclusive, that Mum was 'borderline'. Yet it's perfectly evident for anyone spending just a small amount of time with her that Mum is very far from being mentally competent. Apart from asking the doctor to certify that Mum is capable of living alone, dealing with her own financial affairs and looking after herself, I am not sure where to go ...with this. Has anyone experienced anything similar or does anyone have any advice?
@nellietheknit Mmm... If it was informal do you think the nurse didn't want to commit herself? Does your LPA say specifically it only becomes effective on loss of capacity? I think my OH financial LPA took effect from registration. It meant I could manage with his knowledge to help when he was confused and with loss of capacity. .
The health and welfare is only effective with loss of capacity although Drs are happy to deal with me even though there's no formal capacity assessment. It is registered at the surgery and hospital and he's usually with me. They will disclose on the phone as well.

Last edited:

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hello and welcome, is the POA for health and welfare or legal and financial or do you have both, jist for clarity, medical and financial poa are different. K

leny connery

Nov 13, 2022
Mum is in residential care. She is very happy thinking she is living in a hotel. She can't remember where she lived before and can't remember a conversation she had a few minutes ago. Without prompting she wouldn't shower or brush her teeth or change her clothes. She is often very confused about where she is and who people around her are. Before she moved into the care home, she wasn't eating or drinking properly or looking after herself. Several years ago she gave me and my brother power of attorney, dependent on her losing mental capacity. Therefore we need evidence of her lack of capacity so that we can look after her financial affairs, etc. We asked the doctor who visits the care home and received a letter saying that they no longer do proper assessments for dementia because of the possible distress memory tests and scans cause to patients. But they did send the practice nurse to do an informal assessment. We were told the result of that was inconclusive, that Mum was 'borderline'. Yet it's perfectly evident for anyone spending just a small amount of time with her that Mum is very far from being mentally competent. Apart from asking the doctor to certify that Mum is capable of living alone, dealing with her own financial affairs and looking after herself, I am not sure where to go with this. Has anyone experienced anything similar or does anyone have any advice?

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @nellietheknit and welcome to Dementia Support Forum. When I registered my Power of Attorney with my wife's bank she was in respite care. I don't remember having to prove her lack of capacity as such. She had a diagnosis of Alzheimer's Disease but that in itself wouldn't necessarily mean lack of capacity. However, the senior bank official that I saw took what I said as indicating that I could take over her financial affairs as her Attorney.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
There is a box to tick in the financial POA to say it can only comes into effect once capacity has been lost, and health POA is always only once capacity has been lost. However, I remember a previous thread on here about this and it turned out that unless there is a special clause in the POA saying that there has to be an official test of capacity, then the attorney themself can make the decision that capacity has been lost.

If you find that you have to have an official capacity test, then you may find the best way is to find a private Social Worker (google this plus your area) who will charge, but be able to make an official assessment.

wurrienot

Jul 25, 2023
I haven't needed any evidence for lack of capacity. I took the POA papers to the bank along with my ID. They sorted it out from that. This has been the case with 3 different banks. They all asked me to tick a box saying dad has lost capacity but took my word for it.

Bez O

Jan 24, 2023
Most banks allow ‘3rd party’ status to next of kin. This means that they still have control over their spending but the bank will speak to you if necessary. I have this status at the moment with my husband’s bank account because he often finds it difficult to speak to them. He doesn’t really understand his bank statements any longer and I go through them with him when they arrive.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Hi @Bez O , do you hold lasting power of attorney (LPA) for finance and health and welfare for your husband? If you don't it might be a good time to complete these before your husband loses capacity. Without these legal documents you won't be able to sort your husband's finances and health decisions when he loses capacity. You would have to apply for deputyship which is expensive.