Help with agitated father

Sally6115

Oct 31, 2023
My dad 97 has now entered the latter stages of dementia and is no longer responding to the medication he was prescribed for aggression and sleep problems.
he has a wonderful carer who helps a lot more than needed
Dad no longer sleeps well and gets up several times in the night and bangs on windows and doors.
we try to help the situation by talking to him and calming him down but he persists every night, we’ve had the ambulance twice in 2 days bc of his aggressive behaviour
his speech is slurred and unintelligible sometimes but his vitals are normal we’ve tried all the medication we can but it appears to make the situation worse.
a care home is our next step but we fear that if he is made to go into one unwillingly it will only distress him and my mother, as they have been together 75 years, this is a sad situation as I know my mum 95 doesn’t want him to go really
what is our best next step

Suzysheep01

Jan 14, 2023
I haven’t really got any advice, but just wanted to say how sorry I am that you’re all in this awful situation. I really hope you can keep mum and dad safe and together x

Collywobbles

Feb 27, 2018
There usually comes a point where care at home is no longer feasible or safe. It honestly sounds like you’ve reached the point where your father’s needs outweigh what he and your mother want.