Help or advice on completing annual report form opg102

Stressed Out

Hi All

I'm a newbie as of today and would appreciate any help in completing the COP annual report form. Completed all the Account pages thanks to reading your comments I did a spreadsheet and it all balanced.

I am stuck on page 2 " Significant decisions you have made" don't feel I have made any as Mum was already in care prior to reporting period, they took care of transferring her Doctor over. Are Bank Manager & HMRC regarded as significant?

Finally on page 4 "List of Assets held by client" the house is joint ownership do I just enter 50% of the value?

Original form must have gone astray they sent it back in May not a good start for my 1st report:(

Thanks in advance

geum123

Hi Stressed Out,
I used to list everything that I did.

This is an example from my late fathers deputy report to give you some sort of idea.
Really you just need to say what you've done. I was told it's best also to justify decisions if possible.

The purchase of an investment property which was in the process of being completed during my last report, has now been finalised.
The solicitor Mr. ******. dealt with the sale, and has the deeds to the property in his safe. It is in my fathers name.
I have enclosed a separate sheet listing sale and purchase price plus fees and tax of properties.

A small sum has been spent on redecorating and repairs (carried out by my husband and myself) because I wish to keep up the standard of the property should I ever need to sell it, and I also wish to attract professional, responsible tenants. The property is let out unfurnished.

I realised that I had insufficient knowledge of landlord/tenant laws and regulations and therefore put it in the hands of an agent. His charges are reasonable at 8% monthly fee.

I have also made sure that the property is covered by the building insurance and have also taken out landlords legal expenses and rent guarantee insurance should the tenant default on payment. Both are with ********** Insurance Services Ltd. I also notify them if there is any change in tenancy or should the property be empty for any period of time.

I have notified the council that the property is rented to a professional couple, and my father is not liable for council tax while there are tenants in the property.
Services to the property have also been notified of ownership, but that the property is tenanted.

I opened a new bank account in my fathers name which deals solely with the investment property. I keep income and expenditure accounts plus receipts as required.

I have also notified the Inland Revenue that my father now owns an investment property. They have sent a self assessment form and I have passed this on to my accountant along with the accounting books for the year April 2010 – April 2011.

Council tax rebate applied for from ***** Council and obtained.

I purchased a funeral care plan, prior to price rises expected for the new financial year in April 2011. I chose the Co-operative Funeral Care, because undertakers near to the Nursing Home are in their scheme. I purchased the cheapest plan, in line with my fathers wishes prior to having dementia.
I am awaiting notification of what tax my father is liable for, before investing any of his monies this year.
Also monies have to be kept back because as of April 2011, the fees I am paying for the care home are estimated, this is until such time that **** council decides what rate of fee they are allowing for Nursing Homes. Once they have decided the amount I will need to pay the shortfall.
I am continuing to follow advice from Miss **** of ***** Solicitors
regarding challenging decisions of NHS Continuing Care eligibility.

You can download the forms from http://www.justice.gov.uk/downloads/forms/opg/opg102-.pdf

I clicked save as, and then converted them to Word so that I could type all of the info in.

I'm unsure about the 50% property value.
Hopefully someone else will come along and help you with that.:)

WILLIAMR

Account Closed
Hi All

I'm a newbie as of today and would appreciate any help in completing the COP annual report form. Completed all the Account pages thanks to reading your comments I did a spreadsheet and it all balanced.

I am stuck on page 2 " Significant decisions you have made" don't feel I have made any as Mum was already in care prior to reporting period, they took care of transferring her Doctor over. Are Bank Manager & HMRC regarded as significant?

Finally on page 4 "List of Assets held by client" the house is joint ownership do I just enter 50% of the value?

Original form must have gone astray they sent it back in May not a good start for my 1st report:(

Thanks in advance

Hi

I don't know if I am correct but with regard to ''Significant decisions you have made'' I advised a friend to say '' opened a cash '' ISA and had the garage roof replaced.
As the house was jointly owned he took half the repair costs out of the father's money.
The COP never came back.
With regard to the value of the house he just put half the value on the form and then put a note of the full value at the side. He did not get a valuation done, he just looked at similar properties advertised in the newspapers.

I don't know if you have opened an ISA but have you done anything with regard to her money?.

I would not worry too much. A while ago I spoke to somebody who has retired from the COP and he said they did not look at any form in detail and would only query if for example £80,000 had been spent on a new car.

William

ASH74

Hi.....I just love the annual reporting NOT! I have been a Deputy for many years and every year it does my head in.....usually I miss the interest on the bank account or something so well done it all balances!

Significant decisions I have always taken to be changes to the "patients" (COP term) living circumstances.....residential care placement change, increase in home care.....financially any major purchase like disability equipment, home adaptions, major house maintenance ....or investments be it buying or selling, ISA's etc.....also things like applying for CHC or other benefits.

Regarding assets I have always said owns house ESTIMATED current value us .......from whatever source, there are websites that do this service.

Don't panic......just keep a copy then you can refer to it year on year.

All the best

ASH

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

geum123

I found it stressful, and expensive too.:(

It certainly made my husband and I get cracking and get our POA for finance and welfare arranged.

Stressed Out

Hi

Many thanks for all your replies I've taken it all on board. I have kept a diary of events so I will list several of those they might seem insignificant to me but they all had to be sent a copy of the court order, not to mention the refunds too (thanks Geum123) I had forgotten Council Tax, HMRC sent cheque for nearly £900.

As you can all imagine 17 months of care home fees has made a dent in her savings, just wish her bank had mentioned she could have had an ISA. I will make an appointment and put the maximum amount in.

You have all been very helpful I thank you for that I'm sure others will benefit from your knowledge.

Kind Regards

Last edited:

Stressed Out

Thanks for the link

Hi

Just wanted to say I am glad I clicked on the link to the report it's so much better than filling in by hand and it even added up the figures which is a bonus.

All done and ready to post fingers crossed.

Thanks again for all your help.