• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can be found in our area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

You can directly access this area >here<.

Help needed with talking to friends and relatives

Dunroamin

May 5, 2019
UK
Hello @WTG. I think you hit the nail on the head with your statement that you see friends 'denying your reality. ' Yours (and my) reality are indeed hard to determine by others who do not have MCI, Alzheimers or whatever. They cannot 'see' our reality.

I too have friends, ex collegues and neighbours who deny me my own specific reality, either as a defence mechanism for themselves, to be kind, to deny an uncomfortable truth - or to be completely bewildered and unsure of the rules of engagement.

I also think that a certain level of academia allows us to develop other pathways of coping in the early stages, and together with a reasonable vocabulary this merely reinforces the idea that we remain 'well.'

I hope this makes sense, as I am quite fatigued today after the first outdoor swim for ages yesterday.

Pots and Pans

Jan 13, 2020
Hi @Alder, thank you so much for that post. I found it very enlightening.
@Pots and Pans you may be interested in this course Preventing Dementia run by the Wicking Dementia Research and Education Centre at the University of Tasmania. There is a section likening blocked pathways in the brain to a road network. A lorry is going to have more difficulty getting through if there are only a few roads to its destination and one of them is blocked. If they all become blocked the lorry won't be able to get there at all. The same is true with the brain and vascular dementia. Someone with a lot of neural pathways due to education and keeping learning new things may be more easily able to find a way round blockages even if the damage to their brain is quite severe. That is very simplistic of course, but I thought it was an interesting analogy.
Thank you. Yes, sounds like arterial analogy. If the motorway blocked, then the smaller routes take over. If the motorway stays shut then the smaller roads need to be widened. Neural pathways due to use over years is also interesting. But oh dear, I am good at getting intellectually interested... but now have to go help OH make a cup of tea....

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirst2000_uk