Help from a distance

Alongwayfrom Dad

Nov 24, 2023
Hi. I think my Dad has early onset dementia. He is undergoing lots of tests currently. It seems to have come on very rapidly after a bout of pneumonia. My sister lives 25 mins away from him and is a brilliant support to him. I live 4 hours away - and often feel helpless and useless. I try to help by doing all the remote stuff - like finances and research - and joining this forum to find a supportive place in this horrible time. We lost my mum four years ago after a very long illness (PSP - which is a progressive deterioration of the brain) and I'm not sure how I am going to cope with a second parent fading away.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Alongwayfrom Dad and welcome to Dementia Support Forum. I am sorry to hear about your dad. Caring from a distance must be particularly difficult. If you are able to help manage finances that's a very important contribution. Do you have Power of Attorney in place?

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello @Alongwayfrom Dad and welcome to this forum from me too. I am glad you have found us.

I am sorry to read of your Dad's situation, and the difficulties you face in providing support and care. It is just so difficult when you live a distance away. But doing the remote stuff like finances is very important too. Don't underestimate that.
I am sure that you will find it helpful to find out what others are saying, join in conversations, ask any particular questions you may like to, or just when you need, to let off a bit of steam. You will always find understanding here from members that really want to help.