Hello

mully

Feb 3, 2024
Hi I am new to this. Am looking after my sister who has Alzheimer's with young onset. She was diagnosed 2021 she was 56. My husband died 2022 so decided to move back to Manchester to care from. OMG didn't realise how hard a d challenging it was going to be. Sometimes I wish I hadn't done it. Feel really guilty feeling this way a d don't know what to do.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hi I am new to this. Am looking after my sister who has Alzheimer's with young onset. She was diagnosed 2021 she was 56. My husband died 2022 so decided to move back to Manchester to care from. OMG didn't realise how hard a d challenging it was going to be. Sometimes I wish I hadn't done it. Feel really guilty feeling this way a d don't know what to do.
Welcome @mully!

Please don't feel guilty for being a loving sister and please take a look around the forum to know that you are not alone.

MaNaAk

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @mully and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum. I am so sorry to read about your sister, she was so young for such a diagnosis. You have certainly been through a lot recently between the loss of your husband and now looking after your sister. So it is no wonder that you sometimes feel that you wish you have not decided to look after your sister. First of all, please do not feel guilty, that is a perfectly natural feeling and many people on here will totally understand.
Do you have any help looking after your sister, if not please get into contact with your local adult social services to arrange a needs assessment for your sister and a carers assessment for yourself. It might also be a good idea to arrange a meeting with either AgeUK or your local CAB to check that you are receiving any benefits that you might be entitled to.
Finally, you might find it useful to start a regular thread in the - I care for a person with dementia - area. There you can ask questions, talk about how you are feeling or just let off steam. I have attached a link below.

ged626red

Jun 10, 2022
Chadderton near Oldham
Hello@mully,
Do you live or more to the point your sister live near a hospice. The one near us is now involved significantly with dementia. Also TIDE (Together in Dementia Everyday) is good - I dont know if this would be appropriate for your sister but music and dancing is fantastic for dementia and there are free playlists available as well if you need one through PURPLE ANGELS eg