Hello

Sardino

Sep 29, 2022
Hi

My father has vascular dementia and Alzheimer's Disease. Unfortunately, I live in another country but my brother and sister are LPOAs.

We have a problem with his 'girlfriend' and they both have sheltered accommodation flats in the same complex. As far as I know, she is free of the condition.

I'm not sure in which forum to go to enquire about him being possibly coerced. Can somebody point me in the direction?

TIA

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Welcome, have the LPAs been activated, making one and activating it are two different things.
Does he lack capacity, lots of questions.
Take some time out then say/ask what you like, on here we are to help where we can but a diagnosis doesn't always mean a lack of capacity.
Meantime you have my sympathy.
K

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @Sardino and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum which is a friendly and supportive place. Sorry to hear about the concerns you are having about your father's 'girlfriend'. If you would like to post a little more detail about what is worrying you could start a thread in the 'I care for a person with dementia' forum here:

If the issue relates to possible financial abuse you could start a thread in the 'legal and financial issues' forum here:

https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/forums/legal-and-financial-issues.60/

You may also wish to contact the Hourglass charity for professional advice about the situation. They provide confidential information and support to anyone concerned about an older person at risk of any form of abuse or neglect - this will include things such as coercive control or financial abuse. You can call, text or email their support line, details below:

https://wearehourglass.org/hourglass-services

Sardino

Sep 29, 2022
Welcome, have the LPAs been activated, making one and activating it are two different things.
Does he lack capacity, lots of questions.
Take some time out then say/ask what you like, on here we are to help where we can but a diagnosis doesn't always mean a lack of capacity.
Meantime you have my sympathy.
K
Thanks for your answer. The problem seems to have resolved itself. A assessment has determined that he he needs more care than the Sheltered Accommodation can provide so we are looking for a location more convenient for our family which will be fortunately far away enough from the person who we think is detrimental to his well-being despite his belief.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liseylou20