Hello

lynneden

Jun 8, 2023
Hi everyone
My husband is now 66 and was diagnosed with Alzheimer's (probably) last year. Apparently the damage is to his frontal temporal lobe but no behaviour changes so doctor opted for Alzheimer's.
He is on memantine after trials of donepazil and the patches did something to his heart. I also give him various B vitamins and have just started on Tru Niagen niacin (expensive!)
He has always exercised and continues on his exercise bike daily.
I am trying to remain positive and make sure we enjoy life. We have another cruise booked and I'm planning more.
I did lose him in Dublin airport so now have a simpler phone for him to use and a tracker.
We go to a local singing for the brain group which is fun and we enjoying musical tributes at the local theatres.
I feel awful when I get impatient with him, he is never cross with me.

Take care all. X

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @lynneden I admire your positive attitude and the fortitude you show in continuing to plan holidays.

My wife's Alzheimer's Disease did allow us to continue our 40+ years of travel both in the UK and abroad. We stopped eventually when I realised that our dog was the only stress free participant. I became frazzled with all of the extra work making sure that my wife was safe on holiday. As her disease progressed, she became more confused, to the point that taking her away from home seemed to have no upside.

I hope that you both continue to enjoy your holidays and other activities. Impatience is natural and not something to feel bad about. If it helps, you can always come here when you need to let off steam.