Hello my name is Paula

PaulaEG

Feb 19, 2024
Hello, my mum has just been diagnosed with early Alzheimer’s. I did suspect it but now that we have a diagnosis I am really struggling to come to terms with it. I just wanted to see if anyone knew of some places for one to one counseling. I know I need to be in the best headspace to be a good support for my mum but this is very new to me & I don’t really know where to turn. I would appreciate any help. Thank you for reading this.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @PaulaEG and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum although sorry to hear about your mum's diagnosis. A diagnosis can hit hard, even if it is expected, and it's good that you are reaching out for support. Things weren't easy when my mum was diagnosed, and just knowing there are others out there going through the same thing sometimes helps. This is a friendly place where people understand and are supportive too, so do continue to post if you feel that it will help as there is always someone here to listen. In terms of counselling, others may be along with more suggestions but it might be helpful to contact your GP surgery if you haven't already done so as they will hopefully be able to help. It may also be worth contacting the Dementia Support Line as they are really helpful and will be able to provide details of local support for you, and the Admiral nurses are also a good source of information and support. I hope this helps.

PaulaEG

Feb 19, 2024
Hi thank you so much for replying to me. I really appreciate it. I definitely will speak to my GP and get some advice from them. I definitely will also contact Dementia Support Line and look at link for the Admiral Nurse.
I just feel I need to be able to talk to someone in order to help my mum as much as possible. Thank you so much again.

PaulaEG

Feb 19, 2024
Hiya and welcome.
Just for clarity is that "early stage" or "early onset" AZ?
K
Hi,
Sorry it is early stage. My mum is 68 & I suspect she has been suffering from this for the last 1 and a half years.
Thanks

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
OMG I' m older than your mum, been on here for well over 10 years now, I'm posting as a carer, now ex since my wife passed away.
Hardest part is thinking of a title for a thread to describe what it is you're looking for. Everyone's here to help of we can. K

PaulaEG

Feb 19, 2024
Thank you so much. I am sorry to hear about your late wife you are a fantastic person to be able to use your experience to help others. Thank you.